8. Smile

EZRA'S POV:

I ran as fast as I could and heard Nikolai's laugh matching with mine. Fucker, i was going to get Sarai this time, not him. I showed him my middle finger chuckling as I reached her sleeping figure first. We both shushed each other at the same time not wanting to wake her up from her little nap. Shit, she was beautiful. Now that she was outside, the sun was casting a beautiful light on her face. Her long hair were sprawled on the grass and a few little hair were covering her face.

Nikolai patted my back snapping me out of whatever spell i was under and snickered looking at my lost expression. What were we doing here?

"Are you picking her up or should I? Because I'm quite eager zebra.", I glared at him after hearing his question. Hell no, I was going to pick our girl this time. And wait! What did he call me? Zebra? Again?

I turned towards him slowly ready to punch his face but I don't want to burst my knuckles, i like my hand soft and smooth.

"I'll shove your knife up your ass one day, mark my words.", I growled but before he could reply and we could bicker, Sarai moved and whimpered.

Caroline had left us alone when she saw us coming towards them but I saw Hayden telling her something. We all will know about it soon so I wasn't worried about that. Nikolai and I both sat down on the grass as we saw Sarai whimpering and swatting the grass stuck on her arm away.

My hand had a mind of its own as it went ahead to remove the grass away from her fragile arms. I put my one hand under her head once every piece of grass was away from her and second under her knees. With absolutely no force, she was in my arms coddled into my chest while her every breath tickled the skin of my chest where my shirt buttons were open.

I could hear Nikolai whistling a tune just to get on my nerves but what he didn't know was that it didn't do anything to me. All I could feel was peace with this little angel in my arms. But what concerned me was her weight which was so light that I couldn't even feel it properly in my arms. I hate to see her like this and ever since I got to know that she has been abused, she started looking more scared and weak to me.

"I'll send Caroline soon.", He said making me nod. Heading upstairs towards her room, I kicked it open softly. Her bed was already made and I laid her in the centre of it. Her small frame looked smaller than before as she snuggled deeper into the sheets. I covered her with the blanket and pulled it upto her neck. Next, i pulled away those stray hair hiding her face from me and put them behind her ear.

"Beautiful.", I couldn't help but murmur. I looked up from my beautiful sight when Caroline silently entered into the room. She bowed in front of me making me give her a nod. She looked at Sarai with love shimmering in her eyes. It was clear that she loved her a lot but did she know what had happened to Sarai and who did it?

"Caroline, call us when Sarai wakes up.", I told her gently. I didn't want to scare the old lady more than what Hayden has already done. She gave me a meek nod joined with 'yes sir' and I made my way outside but not before giving a glance towards the sleeping angel.

My phone rang as soon as I put my foot outside the room and I cursed silencing it. I looked back into the room to check if this fucking phone call accidentally woke her up but thankfully she was still out like a light. We had got her checked by a female doctor when she was sleeping. She had changed her medicines and also put some important vitamins etc after looking at her. She had also told us something that we are still trying to process. There was a medicine in her medical box and the doctor had clearly said that it didn't belong to the fake vitamin box.

We had sent the pills to a laboratory for testing yesterday night after talking about it and the results will be sent to us by tomorrow morning. We all were curious about Sarai's past life. There were parts that were missing and one of the major thing was her blindness. If she was blind since birth she should've been using Braille for writing but when Caroline told us that she could write using notebook and pen, it shocked us.