Welcome To The Family Madrigal

Colombia is a beautiful country ravaged by war. Millions of its citizens are displaced, injured, and killed by these wars.

But nestled in the mountains of this colourful and vibrant country, is Encanto.

This village wasn't always so heavily protected from the outside world, however. The protection came at a great cost.

Abuela Alma had to lose everything to gain this protection. She lost her home and her husband, the father of her three children.

That loss released magic, released a miracle. The miracle enchanted a candle, its flame would never go out. It blessed the Madrigals with a refuge in which to live, the Encanto. Inside the Encanto, the miracle created Casa Madrigal, their Casita.

The Casita was alive. It moved, responded to spoken words and needs, and even had a personality of its own.

But the most fascinating part about this miracle was its ability to give gifts.

Abuela Alma still had three children to care for and a village to lead. And when the children turned 5, the miracle blessed them once more.

Each child was given a gift by the miracle. Pepa, a feisty redhead, was given the ability to control the weather with her emotions. It provided clear skies and perfect growing temperatures for farmers.

Julieta, a kind and caring raven-haired girl, was given the ability to heal others through her food. As long as Julieta cooked it, the food would heal any ailment. Villagers lined up at Casita to have their injuries cured by arepa con quesos.

And finally Bruno. He was always the odd one out in terms of his siblings. The only boy in the family was given the gift of seeing the future. Following a short ritual, Bruno could see something that would happen in the future. They materialized in the form of green panes of special glass.

In the beginning, it was only these three children and their gifts working to transform the town. Abuela lead the people while her children used their gifts in the most useful way possible.

Many people loved Pepa. It was rough when she was a teenager, the weather was always changing. But she made sure the harvest was bountiful for many years.

And people adored Julieta. Her cooking was immaculate not only in taste but in ability as well. The food she cooked could heal any single injury. She prevented many deaths.

But Bruno was theorized about. His gift wasn't as straight forward and it wasn't always what people wanted to hear.

If it was a good prophecy, of course, people were happy. But when Bruno would show people their futures and they saw something they didn't like, he would be blamed. People don't like bad prophecies. It wasn't Bruno's fault but it was easy to put that blame on him.

That's why Pepa and Julieta married and Bruno did not.

Pepa met her husband, Félix, when they were both children. Even though parents loved Pepa, other children did not. They would never let her play with them, they blamed her cloud.

But Félix was different. He wanted to play with Pepa. And as they got older, their relationship grew. Abuela blessed the two and in their early 20's, they were married.