I Will Never Be Good Enough For You

Over the next week, Itzayana's room never fades from its blue shade.

She spends almost all of her time sitting in front of her father's door, hoping that maybe he just got lost somewhere, that he'll turn up.

The other kids are informed about their tió Bruno's disappearance and told not to ask about it. The mantra in the family becomes "don't talk about Bruno".

But a week and a half into Bruno's disappearance, something strange happens.

Bruno's door is usually glowing, like all of the other doors in the house. Itzi is sitting with her back against it, her mind going back to the last time she saw him.

Suddenly, though, she hears a faint buzzing sound and sits up, looking back at the door. The golden light pulses two or three times before it dims, flickers, and then goes out.

Itzayana gasps and jumps up, running her hands along his door. It's never done that before, none of the doors have.

She peeks into the room and sees that sand has started flowing over the entrance, almost like an hourglass. Timing how long he's been away.

With this new development, Itzi runs through the house until she finds Abuela walking with Isabela, holding her hand. They're speaking about something unimportant.

"Abuela! Papá's door... it turned off," Itzayana says, looking up at her grandmother.

The older Madrigal's eyes close slightly in confusion and she lets go of Isa's hand. "What do you mean "turned off"?" Abuela asks.

"It isn't glowing anymore, not like the rest," Itzi adds, her hands fiddling with her green dress.

"Show me," Abuela commands worriedly. Itzi can see her aura turn that grey shade she's seen a lot around Casita recently.

Regardless, Itzayana leads Abuela through Casita until they reach Bruno's door. She points down the little hallway toward it and Abuela lets out a little gasp.

The door doesn't look magic anymore. It's an ugly shade of brown, the glowing light not present.

Abuela walks up to it and runs her hand along it, opening it to look inside.

His room is still there but it seems the magic has left the room with Bruno.

"He must not be in the Encanto anymore," Abuela theorizes quietly, closing the door. She takes a moment to collect herself before she turns to Itzi.

"I don't want you to spend any more time around here, it's dangerous," Abuela says, walking forward and taking Itzayana by the shoulder.

"Itzayana, I know Bruno's disappearance has been very hard for you, it's been hard for us all. But we cannot neglect our duties to the community, especially not for someone who didn't care about that community," Abuela begins as Itzi looks up at her. The woman she's wanted to impress since she was born.

"Your father ran away from his responsibilities here in the Encanto and I don't want the same for you. I don't want you to lose sight of what truly matters because of him," Abuela adds as she leads Itzi to the foyer of Casita.