Tonight Has To Be Perfect

As soon as Itzi steps out of her room, she's socializing with the crowd of townspeople gathered to watch the ceremony.

She talks to friends, parents, kids, elders. Itzi explains her gift to them, talks about the family, helps entertain them while the food is prepared. She's busy as soon as she leaves her room.

Itzi watches as Isa conjures flowers for excited guests, as Camilo shapeshifts to entertain those who are just arriving, as Luisa moves donkeys and carts and anything else too heavy for anyone else.

There's music half an hour before Antonio's ceremony. With most people looking happy and Itzi having put three babies to sleep, she decides to just dance. To get in the circle and dance. It's supposed to be a party, after all.

All of the guests get together and dance, spinning each other around, clapping, and laughing. Itzi's eyes are all over the place with all of the pink aura's.

Suddenly someone takes her hand and twirls her around until she's facing them. Her heart just about stops when she realizes who it is.

Elio.

He still has that stupid smile on his face as he looks into Itzi's eyes, continuing the dance as normal.

"Miss me?" Elio asks, his eyes only on Itzi.

For one singular moment, he's the only thing that matters to her. Seeing him again, feeling his hands on her, the rest of the room disappears.

But then Itzi remembers Abuela, the night she found them together by the river. Itzi twists around in his grip and looks around, trying to find Abuela before she finds them.

"Relax, lunita. Your Abuela is talking with Isabela and a whole group of fans. We're fine," Elio says, soothing Itzi's worries.

"Sorry. The last time Abuela caught me with you she called me a whore. I'm not eager to repeat that," Itzi says semi-sarcastically, continuing to glance behind herself.

"Come on, let's go outside. It'll be fine to get away for a little while, we'll be back before the ceremony," Elio says, reassuring Itzi that she won't miss Antonio's gift ceremony.

She thinks about it for a moment, looking back once more to Abuela, and then nods. Itzayana takes Elio's hand and leads him through the crowd and out one of the open doors.

The door leads them out behind Casita, no one else has decided to party there. It should be safe.

Itzi and Elio sit down together, listening to the muffled sounds of the party going on behind them.

"So... how have you been?" Itzi asks awkwardly, rocking back and forth as she looks up to the sky.

"Not great if I'm honest. Having to watch you deteriorate into nothing wasn't the best feeling," Elio replies unhappily as he looks at the harsh bags underneath of Itzi's eyes.

"Like I told you before, I'm fine. I was born for this. And once Antonio gets his gift, it'll get better," Itzi dismisses, hating having these conversations.

"Yeah, that's why you're about to pass out. Maybe it'll get better. Or you'll be even more desperate for her attention now that she's focused on Antonio. That's not healthy," Elio says seriously as Itzi scoffs.