Step Back

Things in Casita are very tense after Itzi was caught with Elio. She hardly leaves her room to do anything other than eat or go to the bathroom and won't speak to anybody.

All of the cousins are worried about her while also worrying about themselves. Abuela has been on edge for days since she found them by the river and no one knows exactly why.

But people in town are becoming anxious, they haven't had to feel all of their negative feelings this intensely for literal years. They want the empath.

Something has to be done to resolve the situation. Itzayana can't stay in her room forever and the whole house can't be one wrong step away from blowing up.

Itzi is in the middle of her stuffed animal pile when Abuela knocks on the door. The young Madrigal doesn't even look up as her grandmother enters.

Abuela walks further into the blue room as Itzi continues to look at the old stuffed animals, the ones that have gotten her through many hard times.

The older woman sits on Itzi's bed and is silent for a moment, studying the girl that reminds her so much of her missing son.

"I didn't mean to be as harsh as I was the other night. That was uncalled for," Abuela begins, causing Itzi to look up. And for once, she thinks she might actually hear an apology.

"But I'm trying to do what's best for our family. And I know it's hard to understand now, but being a part of this family means making the hard choices. The truth is that we can't jump into these things like others can," Abuela explains as Itzi fiddles with her toucan.

Part of her wants to scream and cry. Argue that she's always made the hard choices. For the family, for Abuela. But they part of her is the minority, the blossom of what Bruno was raising.

The larger part of Itzi, the one that despite it all is desperate for her grandmother's love, nods her head. She listens, takes it in.

If there's even a slight chance Itzayana can regain that love, she'll take it. She needs something.

"I don't want you to get taken advantage of, Itzi. I don't want to see that boy hurt you because he's trying to get to our family. You'll have someone of your own someday, I promise. Someone respectable. But right now we need to focus on the family," Abuela adds, standing and walking over to Itzayana.

And again, because she wants to appease Abuela, because the matriarch is always right, Itzi agrees. "I'm... sorry. For sneaking off behind your back. I didn't mean to hurt the family and I swear we never did anything. I would never do that," Itzi says in defence of herself, desperate for Abuela to trust her.

"I know, cariño. I believe you. I was just afraid it would end up at that point. I did mean what I said about that. Because although I am so grateful that our family was blessed with you, I don't want anyone else to be in that situation. It was very hard for us and your parents," Abuela replies, kindness in her voice that hasn't been there for years.

Itzi looks up and finally stands as Abuela pulls her into a tight hug. They reconcile and Itzi pushes away the longing to see Elio. She has to keep Abuela's love.

"Alright, now go get yourself cleaned up. We've got some work to do in town," Abuela says, putting a hand lovingly on Itzayana's cheek before she heads for the door.