Chapter 2 - my favorite crime

"Hey mom! How are you?" Luke positioned his phone on the coffee table right in front of the couch.
"I'm good sweetheart. What time will you be here tomorrow?"

Joss could hear Luke's mom from across the room. He dreaded on what Luke will tell them

"About that.. It looks like I can't go this weekend." Luke uttered in the most charming voice he can.
"And why is that? Did something happen?"
"I'm taking care of Joss. He got injured from kickboxing last Tuesday." Luke crossed his fingers wishing that they would take the bait.
"Oh that is so sweet, honey. How is Joss? Is he doing okay now?"
Luke could almost smirk.
"He's okay but he needs me here, mom."
"Didn't he live with his brother?"
He knew his mom would take that route and Luke had prepared a convincing argument to counter it.
"His brother won't be back until summer."
Before his mom could say anything else, Luke put on a stern face and said "Mom, I have to tale care of him. It's my job. It has to be me. You know that right?" Luke asked, implying the most obvious through his question.

His mom didn't say anything for a few moment. Joss was holding his breath as he listens in on the conversation that is happening just outside his room.

"Are you saying what I think you're saying?" She finally asked.
Luke nodded, "Yes, mom."
"Oh.. I knew you were close friends but it never occurred to me that there was more between the two of you." She had mixed emotions all over her face.
"We thought of waiting before telling anyone."
"Okay, hun. We'll uhh.. discuss this soon. For now let me at least say hello to him."

Luke picked up his phone and headed to Joss' room. He knocked twice before entering

"Babe, mom wants to say hello to you." Luke lay down on the bed of the panic stricken Joss. Their faces inches apart to fit in the small screen of Luke's phone. Joss could see Luke's mom waiting for him to say something.
"Hello auntie!" He greeted.
"Hello dear. Luke has told me everything. We have a lot to talk about and we'll be there by tomorrow morning. Get well soon!"

And the video-call ended..
"What did she.. say?" Luke asked dumbfounded.
"I think," Joss stared at him a little confused,"she said she'll be here tomorrow."
"Oh no.. no.. no.."

The following day started with a buzz on the door. Joss knew it can only be Luke's parents. He adjusted on his seat nervously.

"Okay. Just do what we talked about last night and everything will go according to plan." Luke reminded him before welcoming his parents.

Joss could hear them exchange pleasantries on the doorway.

"Come right in. He's in the living room."
Joss jolted when he heard Luke invite them in.
"Hello dear. Let me look at you." Luke's mom cupped his face.
"Don't squish him. He's not our son."
The reminder from Luke's dad went to her ears and went straight out to the other.
"Oh you poor thing. I came bearing gifts. I've got fruits and home cooked meals that will surely help you recover."
"Thanks auntie."
"Dad's right mom, stop squishing him." Luke sat on the arm rest of the couch with his arms thrown over Joss' shoulders.

Suddenly, her sweet face turns into a stern expression. She sat beside her husband who's been quiet for some time now.

"I guess we better talk about what you both told us yesterday." Even her voice sounded serious.
"I didn't say anything. That was all Luke." Joss teased hoping to make light of the situation.
"It's exactly what you both think. Joss and I are seeing each other for a few months now."

As soon as those words left Luke's mouth, her mom began to tremble and started to sob. Joss and Luke felt alarmed.

"Now you made your mother cry." His dad said. "See darling, I knew something was going on between these two." He added but with a noticeably chirp of energy in it.

"I know. But what does that say about us as parents? Luke can't even tell us that he's in love with someone for the past few months. Have we come off as not accepting?" Luke's mother cried.
"Wait. Sorry," Luke stood up, completely bewildered from what he just heard, "Mom, you're crying because I didn't tell you sooner?"
"To be fair, son, I had an inkling since you two were inseparable lately but I didn't want to pry. It's your mom here that is totally clueless."
"What?"
"Luke? Have we been bad parents, honey?"
"Oh my God, no. Mom, why would you say that?"
"Oh I feel bad. I've been pushing you to get closer to Inka. Now I feel super bad."
"It's okay that's exactly why I couldn't tell you sooner. I was afraid I'd disappoint you."

Joss watched how the whole thing went down. Luke was just spouting off nonsense one after the other. He almost felt bad for being his accomplice.

The three had discussed a lot of things and every now and then whenever he hears his name being mentioned, Joss could feel his heart skipping a beat from anxiety.

"Joss, you must visit once you are well."
"Yes, auntie." Joss smiled and let her cupped his face again.
"No, definitely not auntie. I prefer you call me, mom from now on. That's only fitting, right Luke?"
"Yes, I think so too."
"Oh alright. We need to get going. We'll leave you two alone now." And they headed to the door but before they could leave the halls Joss heard her say "Luke? Take very good care of Joss. He is good for you so you better not mess this up."

For whatever reason, Joss didn't feel his heart skip when he heard his name but he felt like it had doubled in size, a swelling brought about by something he hadn't felt in his entire life.