Chapter 16 - none of you

He remember that day vividly.

The news broke out all over social media like wild fire, Luke happened to be awake, drinking cold water that very morning. But more than the cold water he drank, the photo of him and Joss kissing seemed to have shook him awake to his core..

And as if on a cue, his phone rang, followed by Joss' phone on the nightstand. It was their company, bombarding them with questions to confirm if the photo was edited or not. He was warned that a large group of fans and photographers had camped out just in front of their condo that even their team couldn't get in as the building security had to lock it down. Luke had recognized some of the faces in the photo his boss sent him. There was one thing to be done and that is to address the matter before Joss wakes up. Luke knew if Joss caught wind of this, he would snap, so he took his phone with him when he went down.

Immediately, when the crowd saw him from outside the glass walls of the lobby, they swarmed the entrance hoping to get closer. Flashes of lights burned through his eyes. 

"Please, I'd like to ask everyone to calm down. This is a private property so I would wish for all of you to not cause a commotion."

The crowd calmed down and the noise was reduced to whispers.

"Whatever everyone here think about what they saw on twitter or instagram is not mine to clarify or disprove. Only Joss can tell the truth. Whatever it is that he would tell all of you in due time is the truth." 

Though he's aware of the burden he's passing on to him, Luke wanted Joss to have the final say.

Everyone exchanged glances, confused.

"Please do not bombard him with questions. I would also like to ask everyone to respect his privacy. Thank you."

Luke regained his senses when the attendant placed the water he requested on his table. He uttered a quick thanks without even taking his sight from the clouds outside his window seat.

That day, when he walked out that door, he never saw him again. A lot has happened since then. He quit acting in Thailand and went home to Singapore. He focused on modeling instead. For a while he was an ad model for a local drink, then he did a few commercials and then he went back to runway. At first, he was walking for no name brands until Gucci noticed him. Fashion week came sooner for him, and Luke found himself walking in between runways of LV, Chanel and Dior. He became the latter's favorite. He was closing for them in every show. 

Now, he's headed to Paris again. Although he received acting offers left and right, Luke declines to every single one of them. This was easier for him. Walk the runway, and then go home. Walk the runway, and then sleep. Two to three days of work and then he would have all the time for himself. 

"Luke! It's nice to see you again. How was the flight?" Renee kissed him on both cheek as he walked into the set where the runway was built.

"Same same."

"Have you seen the Vogue ad?"

Luke shook his head. 

"Luke, it was really good. I heard from Sylvie that you'll do another one this week. Is that true?"

"Yeah. It's in my schedule. Sylvie wanted me back for the shoot, so I figured I'll squeeze it in while fashion week."

"Can't wait how it'll turn out. You can head back for the make up and fitting." 

Luke sat on his chair, surrounded by models and make up artists and stylists, each rushing to finish their tasks. Hours stretched upon hours, from practicing the line up walk and the never ending adjustments of the design fittings. He didn't even noticed the sun had gone down. 

There was something about Paris at night. It seemed to hide the dirty streets and vandalized walls. The dark just blurred it all up and from a balcony of his hotel all Luke could see was the tower and the twinkling lights that blanketed the entire city. It all looks beautiful from far away.

"Luke? Do you need anything before I turn in for the night?" his manager asked.

"I"m good." 

At first when he got the modeling gig, he thought it would be a good distraction, something to do. And then suddenly, it became his life. Just when he found himself going with the flow, he lost himself again to the current. 

He plopped on the bed and stared at his phone. 

One thing he couldn't understand was he was the one who left but somehow he felt that he was the one who got left behind. He feels as though he's still at the other side of the door waiting for Joss to open it, to run after him, to tell him he's sorry and that they'll be okay. It all seemed so foolish now. He didn't even had to change his phone number, Joss never called him. Not one text.

He opened his gallery and swipes through their photos. 

"Fuck." He uttered under his breath. 

Tonight, Luke found himself waiting yet again. 

And so he waited.