Chapter 12 - burn it down

"Why are you taking so much stuff? We're not camping." Joss inspected Luke's bag. "Like this? Why do you need four of my shirts for?"
"So you wouldn't be drenched in sweat. And this paper towel is for your back. This water bottle isn't enough for you so I'm taking two."
"Oh.."
"Yeah oh. Let me see what's in there." Now it was Luke's turn to snoop around Joss' backpack. "Wow. A towel and a protein bar. You sure did packed light." He waved the snack sarcastically.
Joss scratched his head. "I'm sorry." He pulled Luke closer and hugged him tightly. "I guess I just didn't want to make it a big deal being our first date and all."
Luke laughed. "Joss this isn't our first date. We've been to so many dates together. We traveled out of the country last year."
"No. I meant- you know, officially."
"Okay okay.." Luke hugged Joss tightly, trying to squish him. "Leave the bag to me. You don't need one for a protein bar."
"Thank you." Joss stared at Luke closely. "You always did take good care of me, babe."
"Don't look at me like that." Luke averted his gaze and chuckled.
"Like what?" Joss tries to catch his line of sight but Luke kept avoiding him.
"Like that." Luke finally points out. "That adorable soulful puppy eyes."
"You think I'm adorable?" Joss grinned.
"Yeah, yeah. Now don't let it get to your head." Luke kissed him abruptly and went back to packing.
"Wait. No fair." Joss tantrums. "I didn't get to kiss back. Come here."
"We have things to do Joss. Go wear your running shoes." Luke answered sternly.
"Fine." Joss kicks an imaginary rock in annoyance as he complies obediently with a frown on his face.

The hike was far more interesting than how Luke expected it. Tall trees stood like walls and although the uphill forest had grown wildly the trail to follow was clearly set. Too many tourists or even locals must have passed through it that the soil was patted firm and dry.
"How far along are we before we reach the top?"
"Around 3o minutes to an hour at most, I think."
"Will we get there before sunrise?"
"I'm counting on it."
Luke nodded as he walk beside Joss, curious how many times he'd been here as a kid and what was that experience like for him.
"Would you believe I only went here once?" Joss answered as if he had read his mind.
"How come?"
"I was eight so I couldn't remember most of it, but I remember being so happy when we were at the top. I think I was sad when it was time to go home. Mom said I cried all the way. I didn't want it to end apparently. I never went back since."
"Awwee. I'll console you later when you get sad on our way home." Luke teased.
"I don't think I will be." Joss answered confidently with a smirk.
"Why? What's different this time?"
"I'll always be excited to go home with you." He winked.
Luke buffered for a second. "Shut up." He pushed Joss playfully, trying not to smile.

"Wow! Would you look at that." Luke feasts his eyes on the view. They were just in time to see the sun slowly pushing his way above the horizon leaving the sky in a bright yellow and orange cutting through the dark blue hue of what once was a night sky.
"D'you like it?"
Luke could only nod. Joss kissed his cheek, not minding the others around them who came for the same things they were. Luke threw his arm over Joss' shoulder.
"I really like it."

"I get it now." He turned to Joss. "I'm not eight but even I didn't want that to end."
"I told you it's beautiful."
"It really was."
"Let's go get breakfast. We should go down before 9AM or else it would be too hot."
When Joss said that there was a restaurant on top of the mountain, Luke was expecting a food stall of some kind as he knew Joss would consider it one. But he didn't expect to see a full blown diner. They went in and sat on the nearest table.
"I think I'll have eggs and a sausage." Luke said, browsing through the menu. "Ooh. Look. They have free toast- Joss?" He look behind him to check what Joss was looking at and it was a group of guys on the next table, snickering to themselves while looking at them.
"Joss don't start something." He warns, noticing how Joss' jaw tighten.
"F*ck this." Joss uttered seething in anger. He immediately stood and went to the next table. "The f*ck you looking at?"
The group laughed. Luke followed him, preparing for anything to happen.
"Just a couple f*gs is what I'm looking-"
Joss' fist made contact before the guy even managed to finish his sentence. Gasps broke out and the group was now suddenly alarmed. Luke grabbed Joss to hold him back.
"Hey man. We don't want any trouble." The other guy announced. The crowd was a mix of curious and upset, murmuring several things at once.
"Whose nose wants to get broken next?" He asked sinisterly as he tries to break out of Luke's hold.
"Joss let's just go. Let's go." He held the bag in one hand and the other onto to Joss as he attempts to drag him outside. Joss throw the bleeding guy another look before he allowed himself to be let outside.

Luke pushed his own hair back, something he always do when he's frustrated. And now that they were far enough from everyone, Joss had finally gotten some time to reflect on what he did.

"Luke?" He cautiously approached him.
"Whatever you're going to say, save it. Let's go home."

They went down the trail with not a single word uttered. Joss bit his lip as he watches Luke, thinking how he will be reprimanded for his actions.

When they reach the foot of the mountain, Luke stopped in his tracks.
"Why did you have to do that?" He asked with his back on Joss.
"They were mocking us and I just wanted to protect you."
"Don't lie to me. You didn't do it for me, you did it for your ego." He grunted at Joss, pointing at the trail. "And for the record Joss,I don't need your protection."
"I'm sorry.." Joss spoke softly.
"Damn it, Joss. Why do have to be so hot headed all the time? Can you for once stop and think before you go dive into a brawl? The last time you did that, you were almost in a comatose. Do you remember that?"
"I can handle those guys."
"What about next time? And the time after that?"
"I'm sorry. It just gets to me. I just don't want anyone making fun of you or what we have."
"What are you gonna do? Punch everyone who tries to make fun of us?"
"If I have to, yes!" He yelled.
"There will always be people like them out there who has done nothing but hate and fear the things they don't understand. The best thing we can do is to not act like one of them." Luke explained frustratedly.

Joss fell silent. His chest aching at the sight of an angry Luke. He kept chanting 'I'm sorry' in his head but he felt saying it over and over would do nothing this time.

"Do you think the world will change over night just because we decided to be together? The world isn't ours Joss..."