Chapter 17 - everyone wants him

Joss fidgets in his seat, bouncing his knee up and down. Today was the photoshoot. He'd been dreading on this day for three weeks now since he got the project not because he didn't want but because of the fact that he does not know if things were going to go his way, how he planned it, in his head atleast. He flew from Thailand to Paris  and he couldn't sleep from the night before, not a wink, even with the jetlag. 

He glances around. On a normal day he'd be very intimated with the models around him. He could swear he actually saw some B-lister Hollywood actor in the same studio as him. 

He accepted this ad project for one reason and one reason only, Luke. When this was pitched, he dropped everything and took it even when work was going well for him. Projects came in an endless list of offers. But once he learned that Luke would be in this ad campaign project, Joss desperately pleaded his management to prioritized this.

"Coffee?" the shoot director asked.

"No, thank you." Joss smiled politely. 

Even if he wants to, Joss for the life of him could not drink nor eat anything. It's as if there was something blocking his throat. 

There were a million things going on in his mind, how he would act around Luke, what he would say, if he could even utter a word to him. He kept straightening his shirt out as he mentally goes through his checklist. 

The door opened and the crowd slowly gathered and murmur to themselves. 

"That's him." 

Joss heard one of them whispered. He stood with his knees threatening to gave out. From across the vast room, the crowd parted and for some reason, his world seemed to slow down. There he goes, Luke, with his hair slicked back, in a white tee shirt and a worn out denim, walking, greeting and smiling to everyone with their heads turning and lingering on him. 

He looks good, heck, he looks amazing. He even gained muscles on him. Joss thought to himself as he stares at Luke.

And as Luke gets closer, Joss froze, so close that he could actually breathe his scent. The same cologne he keeps searching for in his bed at night. The scent that he imagine in the showers some times. 

Luke looks towards him and rushed in, Joss lits up, his lips slowly curving into a smile as he anticipated for a hug , only for Luke to walk past and embrace the director behind him instead. His eyes wanders to Luke, evidently lost in confusion. 

"Sylvie! Is that for me?" 

He saw Luke took the coffee cup that was offered to him a few seconds ago. 

Fuck. Joss uttered under his breath. He scratched his throat which suddenly went dry when he tried to say hello. His own voice betrayed him. 

Someone yelled to call everyone's attention and the group of models and a few actors were split into three groups, each to be briefed separately on the theme and concept of the shoot. Joss couldn't take his eyes off Luke as he was ushered to the corner of the room away from him. 

He paid little to no attention to what was being discussed. He was given a few set of clothes and was shoved into a make up chair. With everyone going about, Joss swings his head left and right to catch Luke in action. 

Everyone's eyes were glued to him as he poses for the camera. Joss notices how smooth Luke could move and pause to capture what the director needed. More than anything else, Joss could see Luke's skin under the mesh top. And so the camera's light flashed and flashed away..

When it was their group's turn, Joss didn't even knew if what he was doing was right. All he could think of is Luke, if he's also looking at him, if he notices him, if he even glances at him. When his eyes searched for him, he found Luke sitting on a chair and scrolling on his phone nonchalantly. 

Hours ended and before Joss could approach him, a couple models already swarmed Luke in his chair. They were talking and laughing as if they're good friends. And maybe they were but something about that deeply bothered Joss. It ticked him off when they were casually touching Luke's shoulders or when one of the girls tousled his hair.

He wanted to yell, 

"That's my Luke."

"My Luke.

"Mine."

..as if he had any right. For Joss, this was like kindergarten all over again. He had never felt more silly, stupid and excluded. Against Luke and his peers, he seemed so amateur. He knew he was one. He began questioning his decisions to go here. His temples tightened at the thought. He could have stayed away and yet here he was. He just couldn't help himself.

Joss felt his eyes burning as he inches forward to his direction, each step slightly heavier than the last. His chest pounding against his shirt. When he managed to get a few feet closer, Luke stood up and he saw him mouthed "I have to go." to the people around him.

He watched as Luke hugged everyone goodbye, fist bumping the staff and waving to those who were far. Luke's gaze passes him. He waited for it to pause in his direction, ready to raise his hand to wave back. But it didn't. Not an ounce of recognition in Luke's eyes can be found as he turned away and exited the studio.

And Joss stood planted in his place, crestfallen with the realization sinking further in, Luke didn't even looked at me, not even once..