Chapter 5 - between the silence

Before their lips even had the chance to touch, a pair of foot steps intruded the marina.

"Luke!" Inka called out.

In a blink of an eye the magic was broken replaced by the awkward realization of what almost transpired a few seconds ago. Joss scooted away from Luke and all he could do was clear his throat.

"Auntie told me to come get you guys. Dinner's ready." She said looking at the two of them, noticing the silence filled air. "Is everything okay?"
"Yeah. Everything's good," Luke stood up and offered his hand to Joss,"Let's go babe. I'm starving."
Joss took it and allowed himself to be dragged.

Dinner couldn't be more uneasy for Joss. He fidgets whenever their legs grazes under the table or when Luke's elbow accidentally touches his. The heat crawling up on his skin from the contact is almost too intolerable.

He silently cursed himself. What in the seven rings of hell was he thinking? If Inka didn't walked in on them, would he had really kissed Luke? What happens after then? The endless questions was starting to bug him.

What's the deal with him? Why is he acting like nothing happened? Joss thought to himself while he watches Luke entertainingly tells stories in their entire table.

Perhaps he was at fault for thinking too much of it. He could call it a lapse of judgement and leave it at that.

Luke gave him a second round of beef roast and mashed potatoes. "Eat." He whispered.
Joss nodded trying to ignore Luke's gazes at him as he watches him eat.

"So Luke.. How long have you two been together?" Inka's mom inquired.
Joss was alarmed at the question.
"Oh.. Uhh.. It's been a few months now auntie. But we've been friends for years. It took us too long to finally get around on being together." Luke answered smoothly that Joss could not have guessed he was lying.
"Joss, sweetie, if you don't mind me asking, what did like about our son?" Luke's mom asked who obviously had too much wine.
He was caught off guard by the question.
"Mom! Don't embarrass him."
The entire table chuckled except for one.

Joss felt his knuckles go white from clenching his fist. He felt Luke's hand on top of his, gently caressing him over and over as if he was telling him that he was okay.

"Everything.." Joss blurted out. "I love everything about him. I love it when he gets mad when an opposing team scores in a basketball game. I love how kind and generous he is without expecting anything in return. I love how he laughs at the silliest things like he's a little kid," Joss looked at Luke and grazes his thumb across his cheeks, "I even love how clueless he is most of the time."

Luke was lost for words. What would he say to something like that? He just shrugged at everyone's faces as if to tell them that it can't be helped how Joss feels about him.
"I hope that answered your question mom." He said playfully. "Joss and I will head out first. This big boy needs his rest."

They walk in silence all the way to the elevators. Luke had his hands on Joss' lower back, it rests comfortably there if he's not drawing circles with his fingers. Joss just lets him, he can't seem to find it in himself to make him stop.

He pressed the floor number and they both waited for the doors to close when an incoming group of tourists headed their direction.

The crowd rushes to get inside the elevator pushing Joss who was facing Luke to the back corner.

Joss looked everywhere except at Luke. The gap between them were a strand of hair away and it didn't help that they're almost the same height that Joss could feel Luke's breathing on his neck.

Luke inhaled, taking in Joss' scent. He smelled of sea salt and the sun and he couldn't get enough of it. He glanced around mentally noting that the people are too busy to even noticed how intimate their position were.

"Stop that."
Luke felt the air of Joss' breath on his ear.
"Stop what?" He whispered back to Joss, lightly placing a kiss on his neck.

Joss tightly gripped Luke's waist as a moan escapes from his lips stealing everyone's attention.

"Luke.." Joss whispered in between his teeth.
But Luke had no plan on listening to whatever he was saying. He found himself a new entertainment in the form of teasing Joss amidst the people in the cramped elevator.

He placed his lips back on Joss' neck, letting it rest for a moment but making sure he laps up the skin from time to time.

Joss had beads of sweat forming on his forehead. If it wasn't for Luke's waist, his knees had gave out and he'd be on the floor.

"Are you still mad at me?"
"What?" Joss asked.
"Earlier when you yelled at me, you were mad."
"Forget about it." He whispered.
"Are you sure?"
Joss nods and rests the side of his head agains't Luke's.

The elevator dings and the crowd left leaving them all to themselves in a now empty space. Somehow the room felt bigger to Joss now that they were all gone.

Still stuck in the same position they were in from before, Joss tried to move to create some distance between them but Luke was too fast to grab him by the hem of shirt, pulling him close and then enveloping his arms around his waist just as he did to Luke earlier.

"Luke?"
When Joss felt Luke's face buried in his chest, his immediate response was wrapping his arms around him.
"Hey? I told you I wasn't mad anymore."
There were no response.
"Is something wrong?"
Luke remained unmoved.
There were still 6 floors to go before their room floor. Joss just stood and planned on letting Luke embrace him till then as he tries to listen to the silence between them.

He was a little confused to the sudden changes in Luke. The hot and cold mix up has definitely thrown him off balance today. Even after years together, he still can't read what goes on in his mind. If  there's one thing that he was sure of right now, it's that he's never heard silence quite this loud..