Chapter 6

I began to wander steadily across town, every moment getting attracted to something new. To my left there was a man with ebony black hair speaking crossly to a group of children, who, I think, were caught misbehaving or something given their frustrated faces. That man reminded reminded me no less of Miss Eden, so I pursed my lips and quickly turned away before they could notice me. Conversations were everywhere around me, every step I took someone said something new.

"Kasha, did you read the paper this morning?"

"Sled dogs for sale!"

"What a lovely hat, Tara. Although it does make your head look a little big—"

"Hey!"

I laughed as the two sisters chased each other, Tara exclaiming that her head was perfectly fine looking the whole time. I soon decided I was becoming a bit far from where Arashi had left me and where he trusted I wouldn't put too much distance between us, so I turned back a couple of steps and resumed my exploration there.

I saw another man, this one with square spectacles set upon his crooked nose, selling leather coats that looked liked they could fit a girl like me. Which was surprising really, Miss Eden had always said I was too skinny for anything she gave me, so I had to get it tailor-made. Barnett would always mumble that I wasn't so important I get supposedly special clothes while everyone else had to wear the pre-made itchy orphanage garb that had filthy stains in various places. Anyway, the coats looked so warm and furry I thought I would just take a quick look at them, for I had no money to spend otherwise I would.

But a scent stopped me. A delicious scent. One I had only relished in Arashi's cabin.. pie! I turned sharply around, only to see a quaint little log shop, and a pair of hands place a steaming, perfectly cooked apple pie upon the counter, before the hands disappeared into the door leading into the living spaces of the cabin. I looked at the pie, my eyes glinting with desire. I know I had just ate a few hours ago, but my stomach was beginning to rumble from the need of the pie. I know it was wrong, I mean, it wasn't mine.

But that scent just kept drawing me in! I imagined it tasted even better than the previous one I had. Before I knew it, I was a foot away from the shop, a foot away from the pie which I so longed to sink my teeth into like a hungry predator. I reached out, unconsciously licking my top lip. When I was merely an inch away from the golden-brown pie a hand grabbed my wrist so hard I yelped. A face shot up from behind the counter, as though waiting for my presence.

It was a man, middle-aged and a dark look to his face. Short brown hair clung to the sides of his head, some strands sticking out under his gray winter beanie. With a grazed stubble along his jaw and chin and a glint in his eye, he looked mean. His dark brown eyes were screaming murder, glaring into mine. On his face was a scowl, and it did not look any bit forgiving.

"Gotcha girlie," he hissed, I widened my eyes in fright. Did this man know me somehow? He tightened his grip on my wrist, so much that I actually whimpered, begging inside my mind for him to let go.

"You blasted girl, stealing all my good pies like that and thinking I wouldn't find out, now did you?" he said, his words coming out like daggers to my heart.

I opened my mouth, yet nothing came out. How was I supposed to tell him he had the wrong person? I've never even met him before!

"I-I.."

"You just wait until I tell your parents about this, young lady. I've finally caught you, after weeks! And the funny thing was, I though it was those bloody triplets stealing my works. You should've known better, missy."

I grabbed frantically at his fingers with my other hand, but his grip was iron-tight and there was no chance he'd ever let go. "P-Please..! Y-You've got to believe me, I didn't do it! I would never steal your pies." I whimpered.