Chapter 19

Arashi was covered in tattoos.

An alarming amount as well.

The bodily designs weren't at all like Johann's, who's skin depicted colored images of certain animals, weapons, and other objects. No, they were... strangely beautiful. In an ink of brown, these tattoos spanned across Arashi's arms and shoulders. Intricate, winding designs of mandalas crisscrossed his skin, along with markings of a strange language I had never seen before. They covered his biceps and the top of his torso, and in the midst of his back, right between his shoulder blades, lay one of the biggest tattoos. It was a large, carefully designed mandala that looked way too perfect to have been painted by a human.

I had never been so surprised. I had always known tattoos were for those who could bare the pain of embedding the ink into the skin. It always came to me that if any such person would have tattoos, it would be someone tough and callous. Like Johann. How could someone as sweet and harmless as Arashi possibly...?

Arashi looked abashed, an almost embarrassed tint pinked his cheeks. He didn't meet my eyes. I had been so focused on gaping at his tattoos (first, it seemed kind of rude to noticeably stare for too long, he definitely noticed. And second, I was supposed to be focusing on his wound).

I looked away, also embarrassed and worried I had seemed impertinent. "S-Sorry. I didn't mean to stare." I mumbled guiltily. Arashi only gave a small smile that fluttered my insides. I'm just glad he didn't look at all upset. Johann furrowed his brows from my perhiperal vision. "Didn't know, huh. Quite a shocker for new people. All right, get to it. And don't look outside—we're driving past a cliff. Little scary, y'know."

I think that was meant to be sarcasm, as I didn't see any anxiousness behind Johann's deadpan expression.

Later on I had most definitely disinfected Arashi's gash, which was very ugly now that I was seeing all of it. I had slathered gauze around his shoulder, as carefully as I could. I tried not to look into those mystifying green eyes, because he kept looking at me. First it was an expression of curiosity. Then.. it was something I couldn't quite comprehend. It made me blush: another reason to not look at him. Gael had helped me along the way, reaching over the car seats to point out spots where I should be especially tender while treating Arashi. Sooner or later the wound was cleaned and dressed not too neatly, but as well as I could have done it. Johann was satisfied with my work, although he kept eyeing Arashi out of the corner of his eye.

While the cleaning of his wound with a spare rag was in place I had asked how Arashi had come to achieve such a gash.

"After you passed out in the sled," he began gravely. "It pushed me back too. Quite a dilemma, really. Suga nearly fell off her seat. My skin came in contact with the hooks holding the ropes together at the very back, and... this happened." He had peered down at his shoulder, looking contemplative.

Arashi then put his shirt back on, thanking me sincerely for my help. Wiping stray strands of hair out of his eyes, he looked so very angelic during his kind words of dedication.

Continuing our drive to Sirmiq, I found Gael and I had quite a lot in common. We both loved the same animals (Deer! I had exclaimed, only to be followed by a snort from Johann who claimed bears were the real beasts to have any interest in), and both were orphans. Sort of. Gael was twenty-three, and his parents had abandoned him when he was a baby. His current caretakers had found him squealing in an undergrowth, where rabbits were found nibbling on his hair. I giggled at that, and he laughed as well.

"My upbringing story did make everyone laugh, I can tell you that." he chuckled, resting his chin on his crossed arms as he leaned against the back of my seat. "Mine is not as interesting as Arashi's though. Hey, tell her about your parents." Gael turned to Arashi, who smiled and shook his head apologetically. "Maybe for another time, that's quite a long story." he said thoughtfully. I could sense sadness, however, in his eyes. Maybe.. his parents were dead too. As much as I hated to admit it, it seemed dead family was quite common around here. I dare say it made me feel less awkward, though.