Chapter 9

Aldwin stepped in, pursuing his lips in annoyance at the wind that whipped at his scarf. "This damn wind.." he mumbled crossly as he slipped over the threshold. At his heels was Arashi, pale-faced and looking at his feet. My heart dropped. Suga jogged over to go greet them, sharing worried looks with Aldwin as Arashi passed both of them quietly. I watched as he peered once around the room and then sat down across from me, crossing his legs and leaning back into the seat. My heart thumped against my chest, ready to burst out through my coat at any moment.

Was he.. alright now?

"Are you okay?"

I snapped my head up in surprise. He had said it so quietly I almost thought I had made it up. Arashi was looking at me, his face looking so pained over a mask of guilt. His green eyes weren't teary anymore, but they were glassy as always. Beautiful and glassy.

For a moment I had forgotten how to speak. Until I had realized he was waiting for an answer. "O-Oh.. yeah. Yeah. I'm fine.." I mumbled, not quite feeling so sure anymore. I locked my gaze with his, and his face looked so apologetic I felt guilty for something I didn't know I did. I'm sorry he mouthed, but I shook my head at him and waved his apology away. "It's okay." I whispered to him and he nodded slowly, pressing a hand to his forehead in exhaust.

Aldwin and Suga slowly came up, one after another after a minute or two of conversing silently. Aldwin sighed and took a seat beside me, giving me a small, if not forced, smile. Suga sat beside Arashi, her hand resting in the crook of his arm.

We were silent for a few more minutes, only the sound of breathing could be heard... And once in a while the occasional little sleep yappings of Janu... Until Aldwin was bold enough to break it.

"So, uh, Nomi.. you like sled dogs?"

My heart hammered under my skin, but I ignored the rash beating. "Sled dogs?" I asked curiously. Arashi had crossed his arms and was gazing distantly at the two of us with something I couldn't quite comprehend as we conversed in a quiet talk. "Um, yeah, sure. Dogs are cool."

"Sled dogs," Aldwin said. Suga seemed to perk up for some reason. "Sled dogs are different from regular dogs. But if you're interested, Suga could take you on a ride anytime."

I pursed my lips. On a ride?

Suga suddenly clapped her hands in sheer merriment, squealing happily like a toddler who'd just seen a dolly for the first time. "Yes! Yes I will! Nomi you'll just love the new team we've bred. They're fast and most of them don't bite, isn't that great?" she said joyously, nudging Arashi with her shoulder and wiggling her eyes brows at him for some reason. Arashi sighed, like he'd finally given up, but then he smiled, for the first time in a very long while.

"Suga runs a sled team, Nomi. They carry luggage and passengers across the mountains. And here she is offering free rides.. what's the catch?" Arashi said in a suspicious tease, raising an eyebrow at her to which I giggled to. Suga pouted, sliding a thin finger down her cheek as if to show that she was crying. "That hurts, Arashi. Knowing that you don't trust me enough to think there's any silly catch. Nomi is welcome anytime. Don't worry darling, no payment needed, it's free. I know you'll have some fun, right Janu?"

Aldwin yelped as Janu came padding over unexpectedly, growling as if in agreement. I stifled a laugh at how frightened Aldwin was because of a dog... that looked much like a wolf. A wolf-dog.

Arashi lifted his legs nonchalantly as Janu slinked around at the foot of the chairs like he was listening in on their conversation. He sniffed at Arashi's dark brown shoes, and bumped the heels with his black nose curiously. Arashi bent down slightly to scratch Janu behind the ears. Janu puffed at his hand, then slinked away over to his bed again in which he sat, hunched like a ferocious guard dog.