Chapter 27

—Many, many years ago—

Aupti placed her hand on the doorknob of the house, holding her arm. Pain was searing slowly through her nerves, causing her to wince with every movement, but she would treat it soon as she could. Thank goodness she was at home now. Fox attacks were very rare around here, she thought, looking around. But when they did happen it could be fatal.

Anywhere she looked green, thriving evergreens littered her vision. She smiled at them, at the blue sky, the sun, and the door of her house.

She opened it. At once her eyes began to focus on her four sons. Two were with her husband on the couch, conversing. And the other two were doing things separately. She looked toward her youngest, a soft smile approaching her lips. He was rubbing his eyes and sorting through the kitchen cabinets, a hopeful look on his face as he searched for his favorite cookies, even though he was almost a full grown man. She turned to then gaze at her second youngest.

He was sitting at the table, an unfocused look on his face and a fork in his hand. On the plate was the leftover cooked rice from yesterday, and he was nudging it absently with the utensil.

Aupti exchanged glances with her husband. Kamik, with his arm wrapped around their eldest's shoulder, only shook his head at her. "I told him to eat." he started, pausing as he stole a glance at his son at the table. Kamik chewed the inside of his cheek. "He said he wouldn't until you came back. He knew—well, he felt you got injured. Is it true?"

Aupti was silent. She looked down at her right arm. It was bloody and scratched up all the way to her wrist. The fox hadn't gone easy on her. Her son had sensed it. He was only getting stronger. All of her boys were, as they were now reaching adulthood.

Her son looked up at her, worry shining in the beauty of his eyes. Aupti tilted her head at him, walking up to the table. She reached over, sighing and caressing his soft cheek. "That's no reason not to eat, my love." she murmured. Her son pressed his face gently into her hand, eyes slowly closing.

A snort was heard from the couch. "You know how Arashi is, mother." the eldest said bitterly.

Kamik furrowed his brow, nudging him sharply. "Hush, Eska. Arashi has every right to worry, do you see your mother's arm?" he said sternly. Eska only narrowed his eyes at Aupti's scarlet skin, his gray stare unblinking. "Arashi could've prevented that, had he been more aware." he muttered, looking toward his younger brother before shifting into another position beside his father.

Aupti exhaled, shaking her head. "It's nothing to worry about. Not your fault, dear." She leaned in to kiss Arashi's cheek. "Sometimes.. even the animals can be out of Arashi's control. Know that he's still adjusting to his capability, Eska."

Eska frowned, crossing his legs. His raven hair only darkened his face.

"His soft heart will break him... one day. It's only leading him to a future where the things he should be able to control will turn against him. His inability to prevent that will be his downfall."

—Present time—

"So.. how old are you."

"...Four hundred thirty-nine. I have outlived every friend and acquaintance I had come to know and trust."

I widened my eyes at that. Arashi's blank face didn't betray his inner feelings. "You're.. immortal?" I asked quietly, the words feeling strange on my tongue.

He only nodded in response. I thought things over. All this time.. I had been living in the residence of a powerful spirit, having eaten meals with one, embraced one, even slept next to one. It was an unnerving feeling, seeing that he could've just tore my throat out at feeling a sense of hunger. But.. he could control it. That was another thing. I had demanded an explanation to his phenomena, and it seemed he was the woodland spirit. Caretaker of all things living in Alaska, he was in control of all animals, plants, and other organisms which resided in the environment. His overtaking power was the ability to morph into a wolf. Pain had been in his eyes as he explained it hurt him severely to transform, especially after such a long time of not doing so. I had wondered when the last time was that he had to use his superhuman faculty. I still had so many questions. The full picture wasn't there yet. And I... still wished he had come clean sooner. I could see he was regretting it immensely. I really didn't know whether to forgive him or not.