Chapter 8

I shuffled my feet around in the woolen carpet in Suga's living cabin. It was a nice place, dainty and pretty and well-kept. It even had a scent to it, as there were flowers of various sorts at every window sill. Janu was curled up in his bed that Suga had made herself by the looks of it, sleeping soundly as if the events that had happened a half hour ago were simply a mirage.

Suga was bustling about in her kitchen, trying to keep herself busy. She had settled me into her comfy armchair, giving me a warm blanket and some hot tea on which I burned my tongue on. She was giving me soft looks in light of what had happened at Aldwin's cabin. And every few minutes, I saw her stand on her toes to peer through the high window in her kitchen that highlighted the street we had walked down to get here.

I bet she was looking for Aldwin and Arashi to come walking down that path any moment in anticipation. But after what happened, I don't suppose they'd come back any time soon. Even though it's almost been what? Forty minutes?

And after what happened, I was so curious. So tempted to ask.. wasn't Myra the woman Sonya and Dulcie were talking about? About how sad her death was? And who.. killed her? It was the hunters. She was Arashi's wife. But why would they kill someone like that? It sounded just so awful.

But my train of thought was abruptly cut off as Suga shrieked. I jumped up from the armchair, nearly dropping my cup of tea, the hairs on the back of my neck standing on end as I heard a sharp crack. I looked over to Suga, and she was kneeling on the floor of her kitchen, sweeping up a broken piece of glass with her hand.

She caught me staring at her, and she laughed nervously. "It's okay, darling. Sorry about that, just a mug, don't worry."

"Do you need any help?"

"No, no, sweetheart. Thank you though."

Suga continued sweeping up the broken mug with a sigh. She then emptied it out somewhere behind the counter I couldn't see. I bit my lip and sat back down, placing the half empty cup of tea on a small wooden table that was ornately decorated beside the armchair. I brought my chin into my hand and slumped in the seat, just as Suga finished up and peered through the window once more before sighing heavily and coming into the general living area, sitting across from me in another comfy-looking chair.

"They're still not back yet, poor Arashi.." she mumbled sadly. I gazed up at her with hazy eyes. I swept a strand of my brown hair behind my ear and leant forward in my seat just slightly, thinking carefully of what I should say.

"Will he be alright?" I asked timidly, Suga sighed. She ran a hand across her face. "I know it seems slightly harsh, the way he acted today.. but don't worry, he'll be fine. Arashi's strong, whether he admits it or not."

I nodded, my heartbeat thumping naturally now knowing that Arashi will be okay, hopefully.

"..Suga?"

The woman with the wavy hair looked up, her gray eyes glinting in question. "Yes, dear?" she asked, trying to keep her voice at least somewhat cheerful. I pursed my lips, then opened my mouth, caution close in mind.

"Do you think you could tell me about Myra? She was Arashi's wife, wasn't she?" I said quickly, definitely not wanting it to seem as if I had randomly blurted it out. Suga's expression seemed lost for a second, her lips drew back in a indescribable look, and her eyes darted everywhere around the room except for me, and that was when I started panicking.

"I mean," I said, nonchalantly enough to hopefully even convince myself this wasn't awkward. "It's alright if you don't, it's none of my business-"

"No, I'll tell you." Suga suddenly said, her mouth quivering. I widened my eyes at her. "Really?" She nodded tightly, then her expression grew so sad I felt guilty for bringing it up.