Chapter 20

Johann growled. He slapped a hand to his forehead as his face contorted into one of anger. "Mischa! You darned thing, relieved yourself on my new carpet while I was away!" he exclaimed.

I smiled as an adorable white cat rubbed itself against Johann's legs, purring loudly. Johann gave his cat a sour look, then his face softened in a way I didn't know it could. "Come here, you brute." he said affectionately, scooping up the cat and pulling it to his chest. Mischa mewled contentedly.

As Johann entered his cabin for the day, leaving us out near his truck, Gael let out a small whistle. "Well, Arashi, we better get going." he said, patting Arashi's good shoulder. "Get that wound checked out if you need to, Kita would be very happy to see you. If Nomi needs treatment she can also visit him. There's no spare cabin, and we are grouping up at two or three, but Hazel doesn't have a roommate if Nomi's interested."

"Nalik would be very glad to stay with you, he doesn't even know you're here yet." added Elise, smiling at Arashi. "You can spend the night with him and Malcolm if you'd like."

She then gave Gael a spiteful look. "Okay, ouch. You realize Nomi's new right? Poor thing, even Arashi can't talk sense into Hazel." she muttered. Gael gave her a pitiful look back. Pity for me I guess. "I know... but it's the only choice we have right now." He looked over at Arashi and I. "How about you two talk it out? I'll go tell Nalik you're here then turn in for the day. See ya, guys. Have a good one."

I waved Gael and Elise goodbye, exchanging bright smiles with the latter. Arashi gave them both a farewell smile, then sighed. He stood in front of me, placing a delicate hand on my arm. His green eyes met mine, and I tried not to get lost in them as I always had. He took in a few breaths before speaking.

"Firstly, are you hurt anywhere you didn't tell me? Or.. any headaches?" he said worriedly, not even bothering to hide the evident concern in his voice. I shook my head. Sure, I still felt a bit dizzy, but it was nothing to be worried over. "I'm fine." I said assuringly. To my relief, he took it well. Nodding, and averting his gaze for a moment to look down at his feet, he seemed calmer than before knowing that I was alright.

"That's good. Now, how do you feel spending the night.. well, without me?" he asked slowly, looking back up at me with a tense expression. My heart thumped a hair quicker. Oh, yeah. Arashi planned to stay with his father-in-law and some other man I had forgotten the name of already. It was suggested by Gael that I stay with Hazel. I haven't even met her, yet I am sure not many people are very fond of her. "I-uh.. yeah I'll be okay.." I said. I thought it had been confidently. But, due to the look on Arashi's face, I had probably given off a nervous atmosphere.

Arashi furrowed his brow. "It's alright. I'm perfectly fine staying with you for tonight as well. I know how new this is to you, and I don't want to make you feel uncomfortable during the time you are with me." he said uneasily. I stood still and quiet for a few long seconds. Deep inside, I didn't really want to leave his side. He was who I knew the most here, and he was one of the kindest and most trustworthy people I have ever met. But.. I couldn't ruin it for him, although it may not seem all that ruining to another person. I knew he still hurt inside, no matter how long ago his family was taken either by death or poacher, and it would do him good to spend more time with his loved ones. It seemed that his in-laws were the only family he presently had.

I mustered up enough courage to decline his offer, as much as the back of my mind cried 'stay with him'.

"I'll be fine. I'd like to meet new people." I lied. Although, it could do me good to have more companions. "I'll stay with Hazel, I think that was her name."

Arashi pulled the edges of his coat tighter around my frame as a harsher wind blew icy needles into my face. His eyes were those of concern for me. "Are you sure? I do not wish to be harsh, but Hazel can be quite a handful. She may come up as ill-mannered and derogatory.. but I implore you to be kind to her." he lowered his voice, and his tone turned sad. "Some people have had rough upbringings, such as yourself. Even I had sometimes a not so favorable childhood. But I still think it would be good to even establish a friendship with her, if it is possible."

I blinked. "You want me to be her friend?" I asked. If I was unlucky in the acquaintanceship process, there could be very brutal possibilities of what could happen next.

Arashi sighed. "I would not blame you if it does not go as planned. All I ask is that you be compassionate with Hazel." he said. "The cabin I'll be staying in with Nalik and Malcolm is only going to be a few houses away. It's Malcolm's cabin, you can spot it easily by the bright yellow marigolds in the front window box. If you ever need any help, or change your mind, by all means come find me. I'm sure an exception to four in a house can be made."

The little me in the back of my head began dancing around in relief. Phew. Just in case Hazel goes rouge or something I have a backup plan.

"Thanks," I said brightly. The cheeriness I was pushing out to show seemed to calm and soften Arashi's worried features. His hand gently went up to my shoulder, squeezing it comfortingly. "Thank you for being so understanding. Due to the time I have already spent with you, I know how empathetic of a person you are." he smiled at me, and I could sense pride in his expression. I swelled up with delight myself at his words. But I still liked to think, no matter how hard I tried, no matter how hard anyone tried, matching Arashi's level of compassion could not be attained. That thought made me think how lucky I was to have knocked on his door in the first place.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"This is it, Hazel's cabin. Remember what I told you. Promise me you'll come find me if you need anything."

"Yeah, of course. Thanks, Arashi." I said, giving him an assuring thumbs-up. He still looked worried about leaving me, and even a hair guilty.

I hoped seeing his wife's father would heighten his spirits.

Apparently, just a hundred or so feet west from Johann's cabin was another cabin, and another and another. It was like a mini suburb, not at all what I expected a hunting party to look like. Turns out, the party resumes once every seven months, and those who wish to hunt for the neighboring towns may take part in it. The town Arashi, Blake and Suga lived in was one of the adjacent ones. Many people from many towns have participated thus far. The animal meat and hides are then distributed to the townspeople to be put in shops and ready to be sold.

The party itself was quite filled. Arashi told me there were at least five hundred people, and more on the way. As there weren't enough cabins to house everyone, some groups are down by the lakes setting camp there, and some taking refuge in big enough caves like the one I had woken up in.

We had walked to Hazel's cabin as the sun began to lower in the sky, darkening the clouds. It was messy to say the least. There was a small pile of clothes right outside on the front porch, blocking evident entrance to the door. The windows had grease and dirt all across the glass, they obviously hadn't been cleaned in a while. A thin layer of moss had creeped up the steps leading to the door, trapping in any sign of wood still visible on the stairs.

I already didn't like the look of it. I had been so accustomed to Arashi's clean and spotless home. I now realized that not everyone's manners were like his.

I tried to hold back my dissatisfaction. I didn't need Arashi rethinking this choice again, although I'm sure he was already on the verge of it.

"It doesn't look the best, but it's only for one night. But if you don't want to stay you can tell me anytime. I won't be upset." Arashi said. I turned to look sideways at him, but he was eyeing the cabin warily.

I gave him the same persuading smile I had given him since this issue began. "I'll be fine. I promise to come to Malcolm's cabin if I need you, and I promise to be kind to Hazel." I didn't really know if I could keep that promise, but I would definitely try.

As we began to tread up the steps a door in a cabin not so far away flew open. Arashi's head turned, and his eyes sparkled as he saw who it was. Before I could turn myself he gestured quickly toward the door to Hazel's cabin.

"Go meet her. Just give me one moment."

And before I could respond, I had been guided toward the door. I didn't look behind me, although I wanted to. I heard many rushed footsteps. I decided to check later, if I could, and turned the knob to the already unlocked cabin.

~o~o~o~o~o~