Chapter 14

I woke up to rustling noises and a cheery tune from a bird outside the window. I blinked away the blur that had passed in my sleep and sat up, the bedsheets crinkling beneath me. The cabin was bathed in a soft, morning light. My ears were suddenly filled with bird songs as they twittered to and fro across the trees outside. I blinked numerous times, the rush that had taken over me while I was sleeping slowly disappearing. My ears twitched to a sudden clutter, and a sigh. I turned, combing my fingers through my hair as I saw my companion meddling about in the overhead kitchen cabinets.

"Good morning, Nomi." Arashi said, without even glancing at me, to my surprise. "Did you sleep well?"

I rubbed my eyes tiredly, falling back into the pillow with my hair a rat's nest around my head. "Yeah." I said distractedly.

"That's good."

I pursed my lips. I peeked at Arashi from the corner of my eye. He was now wearing a dark gray jacket similar to his olive one, and the same shoes and trousers. His straight brown hair was in a loose ponytail that fit him well, and his expression seemed to be deep in thought for a few moments as he searched around the kitchen for something. I took a breath, and leaned myself against the headrest. "I'm sorry for taking up your bed these past few days." I said glumly. He turned to look over his shoulder at the sound of my gloomy voice. I rubbed my forehead. "I didn't mean to force you out of your bed for me."

Arashi then smiled with furrowed brows, as though what I had just said was the cutest thing he had ever heard. "Oh, it's alright, Nomi." he said gently, closing the cabinet he was rummaging in and reaching behind his head to tighten the tie in his hair. "I just want you to be comfortable wherever you are sleeping." He gave me a quick smile and glanced once out the kitchen window, which overlooked the path we had to take to reach the town.

I sighed mentally. "But what about you?" I asked, he turned again to look at me with a curious expression. "Where do you sleep while I take up your bed?" I said with interest. Did he just sleep in a chair or something? I hope he wasn't uncomfortable..

Arashi shifted in his jacket. He then strode over to the window beside the bed where the lavenders were, and tentatively touched the little pot, as though lost in his own world. "I have my own place, Nomi." he said, gently stroking the lavenders like he were in a dream. "Don't worry about it. I made a makeshift bed on the floor."

I nodded, but still felt guilty. I uncovered myself from the blankets and sat up, stretching my arms and rolling my shoulders back to a satisfying position. I held back a groan—it felt so good to finally stretch after that very disturbing dream. I sighed in angst.

It had happened. Many times, but that one was oddly specific. It made my head hurt to even think about it. Arashi had appeared in front of me, holding my old jacket in his hands. I brightened up immediately after seeing it. It was completely finished now, and he had done a great job.

"Are you ready?" he asked, handing me the jacket and giving me an expectant look. I raised a brow. "For what?" I questioned. Arashi grinned, and that was one of the few times I'd seen him genuinely happy. "Today's Thursday. Suga promised she'd take you—well—us to Kodiak Mountain."

My eyes widened. Woah, I had totally forgotten. It's been so intense these days, it was hard to keep track of everything. But still—I'M GOING TO RIDE A SLED!

"Oh yeah!" I exclaimed. I jumped up excitedly from the bed, feeling my tiredness disappear like it was never there in the first place. "Ahh, I can't wait!"

Arashi chuckled, fine dimples carving into his pale cheeks. "Suga's bred a fine team, Nomi. They're the quickest we've had in a long time." he said. I twisted and put on my jacket, feeling finally satisfied now that it seemed brand new. I relaxed in it, the jacket kept me warm. Even inside.