Chapter 10

The door creaked open, and revealed an attractive young man. He was a bit shorter than Arashi and was wearing a woolen hat, his dark brown hair peeking out from underneath—several strands in his face. He had dark eyes and pink lips. His skin was a shade or two lighter than mine, and I was sort of already pale as it is. He shook in his gray jacket as the wind from outside blew into his home, then nearly rejoiced in a way I had never seen as he spotted Arashi on his porch steps.

"Oh, hey Arashi!" he exclaimed, reaching out to pull the man beside me into such a fierce hug I couldn't help but giggle at it. Arashi smiled and hugged back, before pulling away gently and brushing at the young man's hair like he was his own son.

"It's good to see you, Ulva. Nomi, this is Ulva Clark—Suga's nephew." said Arashi. I flushed as the young man named Ulva peered curiously at me. I looked back at him, smiling like an idiot. I stared into his face, he really did look my age. I stared until Ulva smiled and waved shyly, I waved back in the same manner, my heart thumping uncontrollably.

Arashi smiled at both of us like we've been friends since the beginning of time. "Ulva," he said expectantly. The new man tore his eyes away from me to look at Arashi in question. "Is it alright if Nomi stays with you? Only for a bit. Aldwin, your aunt, and I are going to.. ah.. well... you know. It happened again." Arashi said the last part quietly, looking lost all of a sudden. But Ulva nodded, a look of sheer despair crossed his face.

"I know, I heard. Arrluk's been screaming around the town about it like a lunatic, I wouldn't be surprised if he lost his voice tomorrow. And sure, I'll take her." Ulva wrapped his arm around my shoulder with a flashy grin, and I found myself blushing pink for some reason. Then he turned back to Arashi, suddenly stern and serious. "And what gives? You barely come to see me anymore. I know I'm not a little boy anymore but still: What. Gives."

Arashi simply smiled, chuckling a bit as Ulva pouted in a rather.. adorable way.. I thought. "It's nothing against you, Ulva. I've just been caught up in my own things. I promise I'll come see you more often. But I really have to leave now." Arashi said gently.

"Yeah yeah, I know. Go on, protect us. Do your job." Ulva said in a falsely irritated voice, waving his hand at Arashi for him to shoo-shoo away. I giggled again, making Ulva wink at me teasingly. Arashi nodded, his face full of gratefulness. But then he took my shoulders and pulled me into an unexpected hug, making my blood run cold. He had his chin on my shoulder as he spoke: "Alright, well, be safe, Nomi. Do everything Ulva says and have fun. I'll be back in an hour or two to pick you up." he said, it sounded almost tearful to me—like he'd never see me again.

But I nodded and patted Arashi's back. "Don't worry, I will. See you." I said softly, pulling away from the hug. Ulva opened the door wider for me to pass through, and I did, after Arashi gave me a gentle smile and waved. He walked down the street, away from us, away from me, but that was when Ulva shut the door and I realized I was now inside his house.

I looked around. His cabin was toasty warm—due to a crackling orange fire in the corner of the room. It was large enough to hold about a family of three, a large bed was held with spotless white sheets on one side of the room. There was a small kitchen to the right of me, and a table and chairs littered in random places across the cabin. I sniffed the air, oh wow.

The place smelled as lovely as roses. Does everyone here have houses smelling like beautiful flowers? I'm jealous.

I slipped a strand of hair behind my ear, looking down for some reason as Ulva walked past me and began whistling a strange tune. For a few moments he looked as if he were caught in his own world. Until I pursed my lips and cleared my throat, making him snap out of his dream-like state.