Chapter 31

Suga enveloped me into a hug, sobbing.

"Oh, my dear.." she hiccuped against my shoulder. I held her as well, gently rubbing her back.

"I just knew it was you!"

She had come first thing in the morning with Blake and Ulva. Aldwin had arrived later. Suga had been best friends with both my parents, she had grown up with my mother, and so she saw me like her own child. ...Ainsley had been my mother's maiden name. And, somehow, it was the same name on my documents at the orphanage. Suga concluded that there must've been a mixup of last names. She was crying with tears of both happiness and remorse, and I tried my best to soothe her.

She pulled away just enough to gaze into my face. Her hand went to my cheek, and I found it to be warm and comforting. Her eyes glimmered. "...I knew I saw Myra in you. You're gorgeous, just like she was. And, you've got bits of your dad as well."

She turned her head to grin at Arashi, who was watching from the kitchen counter. He only smiled softly back in response. Aldwin, who stood near him, peered at me curiously. A smile was making its way to his face, and I saw him try to conceal it. He then looked down at the ground, absently patting Arashi's hand. Blake came up beside Suga, rubbing the back of his neck. He looked toward me, and beamed.

"Y'know.. eighteen years ago, I held you myself." He grinned back when I smiled at him. "You were so little. Maybe just a week or two old. Ulva was only a few months older than you." he turned to place his hand on his nephew's shoulder. Since Ulva had walked through the door, he hadn't stopped staring at me with disbelief. It seemed like amazement. I blushed at him. Arashi had told me that Ulva and I used to play together when we were younger, like best friends. I peered up at him, only to avert my eyes when he stared back. We.. could have gotten so much closer if I had had those precious years.

I smiled at Blake, and he gave me a half-smile back. Suga and Blake must be in their forties by now. Even if they had known Arashi most of their lives, they had reached the age that he couldn't. And, one day, I myself would grow to be his elder as well. I cocked my head at that thought. It seemed strange.

Blake wrapped one of his arms around Suga, nuzzling gently into the side of her face as Arashi gestured at me to come over. I walked past them and strolled over to where he was standing in the kitchen. Instantly I encircled his frame into my arms, and he chuckled while embracing me back. From my view just above his shoulder, I saw Aldwin peering at me again. This time, he didn't look away as I caught his eyes.

"Hi, Aldwin." I giggled, and sighed as Arashi rubbed comforting circles into my back. Aldwin widened his eyes at me, as though he just realized I was speaking to him, before his face went back to his original curious expression. "Hey, Nomi." he replied softly. I smiled at him, but he only averted his gaze and looked toward the ground. He seemed guilty. Was he still thinking about when he grabbed me a while ago?

"Smiles please, Aldwin." Arashi said cheerily. Aldwin looked up in surprise. My father grinned at him, all of his white teeth flashing. I hadn't seen such a genuine grin from him before. "I haven't felt like this in such a long time. So, please be happy." he said, beaming. Aldwin continued to stare at his friend, before his huge smile made him crack one as well. It seemed he had a soft spot for Arashi. I haven't met many people who didn't.

"Oh, I'm sorry if I seemed... y'know, downcast." he said with a painful little laugh. He rubbed the back of his neck, his brown eyes flashed to me. He gave me a soft look. "I still regret the first impression I had given to Nomi. I just can't believe it's really her. It seemed almost impossible. But you found her."

"Just as we knew you would." Suga chimed in, standing beside Aldwin as she beamed at me. Blake turned to Arashi, raising a teasing brow. "And isn't that the biggest smile I've ever seen. It's nice to see you smile again, Arashi."