CHAPTER TWENTY - GETTING READY

Mikael's POV

I once again sighed and slammed a door shut after yet another empty place. No signs of Freya or her coffin. For the love of Odin I couldn't remember anything about where she was located, only distant memory of something I couldn't pinpoint.

I rubbed my face and slowly crouched down on the hallway. I put my hands over my mouth and looked foward as my mind flew with different things. I let my hands drop down and looked down at them.

With a sigh I glanced at the time from my watch. 5am. I stood up straight, left the place behind me and went home.

It took me a while to get back home. I walked inside and shut the door quietly to let anyone who was still asleep sleep. I kicked my shoes off and walked up to our bedroom.

Ayana was awake in the bed, looking at me with a gentle smile. "No luck?" She asked quietly.

I shook my head as I took my jacket off. "It is like she simply doesn't exist. The magic Dahlia uses is too powerful." I said as I threw the jacket to a chair.

I sat down to the edge of the bed and put head on my hands. Ayana carefully scooped closer and wrapped her arms around my shoulders from behind.

She left a soft kiss to the top of my shoulder and continued to hold her arms around me. I wiped my eyes and turned to look up straight foward.

"You will find her." Ayana whispered and I put my hand on top of hers which rested on my chest.

"I hope she doesn't think I gave up on her." I whispered back with a defeated sigh.

"Shh, don't think about things like that." She said gently and pulled me towards the bed. "You need some rest. Come here."

I took a hold of the bottom of my shirt and took it off. I followed her lead and climbed up the bed, laying in between Ayana's legs with my head on top of her stomach.

"Rest my love." Ayana said while she ran her fingers through my hair. I relaxed and closed my eyes as goosebumps traveled all over my body.

The force of countless sleepless nights looking for my oldest child and busy days hit me harshly. I fell almost immediately asleep.

Ayana smiled softly down to her beloved as she combed through his hair. Their family was more lucky than they even realised. The lenghts Mikael would go for them, even if it took all his energy was blowing her mind.

-

I opened my eyes slightly and slowly lifted my head from the soft pillow. I looked around me and it took me a minute to register life again.

I automatically looked for Ayana with my gaze, but the spot next to me was empty. I sat up straight and rubbed my eyes. I stood up from the bed and quickly put my shirt on.

I heard distant music coming from one of the living room areas as I walked downstairs. I walked in to see Kol being fitted for a suit and the others doing all these small things.

"What did I miss?" I asked with small confusion and tried to rake through my memories about what was going to happen.

"Hey dad." Rebekah greeted me as she looked up from her nails she was painting. She motioned me to sit down and I sat next to her. Rebekah motioned to her with her fingers and I gave her my hand. I looked at the others.

"We are having a ball." Ayana smiled and Henrik nodded next to her and focused on his thing.

"Huh." I commented and looked down when I felt Rebekah start to paint my nails. I just lifted my head back to Ayana and let Rebekah do her thing.