CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO - DAILY CHAOS

Mikael's POV

It was freezing. Every fiber in my body felt stiff as another breeze of coldness washed over my body.

I looked around the empty field, standing at the middle of the darkness, a prey waiting for it's hunter.

All of it was a reminder, we are not invincible.

I flinched awake from the nightmare and instantly noticed that something was wrong, I couldn't breathe. I quickly sat up on the edge of the bed, desprately trying to get some air into my lungs, clawing at my throat with shaking hands after the bubbles of panic started to form.

My jerky movement and all the noise I was making woke up Ayana, who looked around the dimly lit room with tired and confused eyes before her eyes snapped to me.

I have never seen her move so fast in my life.

In a blink of an eye she stood in front of me, desprately taking a hold of my cheeks and making me look at her eyes.

I tried to focus on her voice, on her soft whispers and very slowly I could feel air filling my lungs again as her magic overpowered something distant.

Letting out a painful cough I took big gulps of air once breathing became easier again.

After calming down from the first waves of fear and panic, I looked up at the distressed face in front of me and watched how she bit her lip to keep her tears from falling down. She kept her magic tightly around me to ease the pain and help me any ways possible.

Slowly my breathing was back to normal and my head dropped foward in exhaustion. Ayana cradeled my head as she let it rest on her chest.

"You gave me quite a scare." Ayana mumbled and shook her head, trying to get the scene out of her vision.

It was terryfying for her, waking up to a reality of one of her common nightmares.

"I apologize." I said in a raspy voice. I cleared my throat and licked my lips. Still breathing rather heavily I sat up straight while she kept her hands on my face like she was scared to let go.

I wasn't going to push her away. Her presence between my legs in front of me made me grounded, knowing that everything was okay.

"It was Dahlia. She knows. I know it." Ayana looked down at me confused as I spoke. "She knows that I have been looking for Freya. I have no idea how she is doing this."

I watched her face turn into one of mixed emotions and felt my heart broke for her. For us.

Ayana sighed and softly stroked my cheeks with her thumbs. "Mikael, promise me something." She whispered.

I looked up at her eyes and put my hand on top of her hand.

"Promise me you will be careful moving foward. I know nothing can stop you from finding her, but we both know what that woman can do." Ayana whispered and my eyes softened. "I can not lose you again." She continued whispering and I could see rare vulnerability in her eyes.

I wrapped my arms around her and pulled her towards me, pushing our foreheads together and holding her tightly around her waist.

"I promise."

Ayana closed her eyes and took a fistful of my shirt into her hand, her other hand going tightly around me.

We enjoyed each others company in the darkness of the room.

There were no words said after that. It was not needed.

We had each other.

And that was all we required at that moment.