CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE - MIND TRICKS & EXPLAINING

A warning for the upcoming chapter, there will be mentions of miscarriage/child loss.

-

THIRD POV

"Freya." Mikael breathed out and nearly fell to his knees, his legs threatning to give up as his oldest child stood right there in front of him for the first time in over a thousand years.

Slowly Mikael walked foward, reaching out a hand towards her, like he was scared she would disappear in front of his eyes if he moved any faster.

"My little Freya." Mikael whispered with tears in his eyes, trying his hardest not to cry. "I am so sorry I failed to protect you." He whispered the first thing he had wanted to say to her.

Freya gave him a sad smile and shook her head. "It was not your fault father. It was all Esther and Dahlia. There was nothing you could have done." She whispered and looked up to his eyes.

The eyes so similar to her own.

"I tried to look for you." Mikael said voice thick with emotion, only thing he wanted to do was hug her and hold her again, to hold his daughter knowing she was safe.

"I know." Freya's eyes filled with tears seeing her father so close to breaking down in front of her. "I'm sorry Father, I can't stay a lot longer."

"What...?" Mikael whispered and lifted his hand slowly up to her cheek, only for it to go through air. Mikael could feel his heart painfully aching as realisation hit him that she was not actually physically there.

Freya smiled sadly and then her eyes filled with panic. "You need to stop looking for now. I will find you again, but Dahlia is after you. She knows! You need to be careful papa! I need to go or she will-" Her voice cuts off in a pained gasp and slowly she disappears from the doorframe.

"No, no, no. Freya." Mikael chanted in fear of what happened to her and tried to reach out to her as she disappeared. Mikael hurried outside where she once stood, even though he knew she wouldn't be there, not seeing anything that could give him any answers that would actually help him. 

Squeezing his hand into a fist Mikael swung his arm back before hitting a wall with all his strenght multiple times, letting all his emotions out. With the last hit his legs finally gave out under him. He dropped down to his knees on the ground breathing heavily with his gaze on the ground.

He was so tired of those games, mentally and physically exhausted. The sick fucking games Dahlia and Esther made him play at his family's expense.

Those familiar soft footsteps walked in front of him and crouched down. Mikael felt hands cup his cheeks and gently lift his head up.

Mikael looked up at Ayana and couldn't help his lower lip from wobbling. "She-" Tears fell from his eyes into his cheeks for the first time in a long time, he couldn't keep it in anymore.

Mikael felt so daamn helpless.

"I know." Ayana whispered softly and slowly pulled him foward, cradeling his head against her chest as his shoulders shook in silent weeps.

Ayana didn't say anything else, only held him as Mikael clutched her shirt tightly, for the first time ever showing that kind of vulnerability in front of everyone.

She looked slightly up to see the children standing at the doorway, with confusion and worry clear in their eyes as they looked at their parents.

With a small shake of her head they very slowly walked away, wanting answers but at the same time wanting to give them some space.

"I will find her and end this madness." Mikael whispered to her, his voice raw with rage, pain and promise.

"I know." Ayana whispered.