Chapter 11 - A bitter detective

Shinichi had always been taught by his parents, that bad guys/villains of this world are no matter what, unreasonable people.

The same goes for Kudo Ranran, who is still pointing a gun directly at Shinichi, in front of a horrified Agasa, as well as several police detectives feeling tense about how the situation was gonna turn out. Are they gonna end the day with a corpse out of Ranran's house while dealing with a grieving family? Or by miracle, Ranran decides not to shoot Shinichi and let bygones be bygones.

Still, some villains can be reasoned. That's why negotiation techniques are given to police officers worldwide to deal with bad guys like terrorists or robbers holding people hostage. Shinichi was no different as always when it comes to negotiating since his dad taught him to deal with bullies back then. But Ranran is a 6-year-old kid who is raised to know how the laws here work in Japan, let alone, knows how to use a gun and is willing to end his life, so things can be tricky.

Shinichi didn't like when people didn't cooperate the way he wanted them to. He didn't like it one bit and even more so that it was this girl. This is why he opted to use this card to get himself out of trouble. One that he ensures will be enough to protect his life.

"You know.....The Fox is an anonymous figure, a rumoured child Tantei prodigy behind solving many cases for the Japanese police law enforcement. Not long ago, she or he vanishes out of the media spotlight."

This made the little girl tense as she was fast in raising the gun again. She moved a bit in front of Shinichi, eyes like steel.

Shinichi was panicking internally, but he went on to keep his confronting facade, "I noted one pattern, whenever the fox made an appearance, her identity is kept upright up to a point, forensics and police detectives will have a hard time entering the scene of the crime. Normally it shouldn't have been the case."

He quietly observes Ranran, who still have a gun pointing at him, but he is certain she is deeply troubled by what he knows of her as he went on, "I been with my tousan having taken to crime scenes long enough to know.......it shouldn't be that tedious. That only left me with possibilities, A, the victims and killer The Fox solved are high profile. Fearing that the media may twist the story to a point lawsuits be drawn on them, they resort to covering up The Fox's true identity because of this. But this theory wasn't possible, cause based on the comments I read on the forums, she too solved low profile cases as well."

"....."

"That only let me with the other possibility: The Fox....was someone the police know but can't afford to risk identity exposure, otherwise, they gonna lose their jobs. What more do they have to lose, than having the daughter of a man, who had some high-level connection to the metropolitan police department, do the job for him."

Ranran's eyes widened.

"The fox is reported to have appeared quite frequently, leading up to the Beikai police district takedown on corruption and the end of it. Why did that person suddenly exist out of the blue till the end of the corruption? The only reason for an explanation was simple: the person behind the takedown of the corrupt officials was under manpower, so he didn't have many officers to solve the other criminal cases since he needed them desperately. It was to him a one-shot deal to take them down, and he didn't trust anyone, so what could he do but to get his child to play The Fox."

He went on as he watched Agasa's expression, as his sweat grew and so did the cops.

"Then, he had another problem, as a father, he had to do whatever it takes to ensure his precious child wouldn't be harmed in the midst of it all. The child was, after all, still an elementary school student, after all, the chances of getting killed out of revenge from corrupted officials are rather high. Fortunately, he has the influential backing of his wife's family, so they were able to pull the strings in making sure their child solving the mystery won't be exposed one way or another. In other words, the news media ain't likely to report, let alone, reveal the identity of the child. Still, he knows he couldn't contain the details behind it. A 6-year-old solving a murder case is bound to attract media attention, in some way or another. Though...one interesting tiny detail was known about The Fox, some of the reporters who interview several witnesses swore that behind her mask, one of her eyes on the right...is green while on the left, is blue. Another one said it was just the usual pair of blue eyes."