Chapter 42 - A Deceptive Fox

There was a time when 3-year-old Ranran ask The Boy why is their revenge online business named in a fairy tale.

No matter how many times she re-reads the book, she can never fully comprehend what was going through his head when he named their online business.

Ranran re-read the tale of Fox and Deer at Edgewood Academy's computer room, hoping to get some insight into The Boy's mind. Because the Fairy Tale was relatively new, it was updated on Wattpad once a week. When the tale was published, it garnered over 4000 reads before skyrocketing to 100,000 in a couple of months among children. Edgewood Academy students were well-versed in it. Everyone had heard it innumerable times because it was a well-known tale.

It depicts a tragic dark fairy tale about a poor little fox who was born into a family of foxes. No one would ever want to be her friend, because they all knew foxes are cunning crafty creatures in every fairy tale. So she was disliked by everyone around her. They always found something to say about her no matter how good she was at doing things.

She wasn't as elegant as a peacock, nor as graceful as a swan.

This would have made the fox very unhappy. But, unlike other foxes, it found a way to enjoy itself by reading and playing alone in the deeper area of the forest, hoping to one day leave the forest and move to a better forest where foxes are not prejudiced.

However, one day, she met a rather majestic deer. This deer was unbeknownst to her, the Prince of the Forest who can see the future. Having witnessed her reading, he was impressed by her wittiness, he decided to take her away from the forest and taught her many things.

The deer subsequently offers to teach her how to be her best. She was hesitant at first, but she soon gave in and learnt a lot from the Deer. The fox was overjoyed and couldn't believe her good fortune. Gradually, The Deer bestows on The Fox the job of adviser, sparking rivalry among other animals, both predators and prey, as other animals began to stage all kinds of hate crimes to remove The Fox from the position, but were always proven unsuccessful.

The more Ranran read in the latter chapters, the more she was shocked by how amazing the narrative was. Unlike typical stories in which the main characters have a misunderstanding and drift away before reuniting, Fox and Deer hardly had that. If anything, regardless of how things turned out, trust exists. There is a deep degree of understanding between the two, which is why Ranran saw sobbing emojis in the comments anytime their 'wonderful moments' were emphasised.

This is why, when they have that much trust, they are a force to be reckoned with. Sure, there were squabbles between the two, but they were honest and raw. It's the story's shimmering pivotal moment. Similarly to Ranran's connection with The Boy. It's most likely why he chose that name in the first place before starting their vengeance agency. They shine brilliantly, much like a candle's flame.

However, there are always those who are doomed to put out the fire before they could do any more damage, hurting one's self-interest. Mainly their client's enemies.

A year into the business, she dealt with an incident so traumatic, that Ranran couldn't handle the notion of returning to school for over a month, let alone continue to be The Fox. During that time, The Boy did not attempt to persuade her to return. He, on the other hand, allowed her to recuperate.

However, he knew had to show her something to get back as time for them is running out.

One day, he phoned her, telling her its about time she learns the truth.

It was around 3 weeks since it happened and Ranran was curious as to why he called around 8 pm time, as he rarely does. "Tomorrow, when your parents aren't around, come over to my place at 10 am sharp in the theatre room. I need to show you something."