Chapter 4 : The Plan

Natalie's POV

Nothing good can come of this at this point. To make a clean exit, I click my heels together. Clearly, I was mistaken. I make a fool of myself by falling in front of them. Fuck! I even use Medea's dress as a handhold. Probably the second biggest social faux pas I've made so far. Now, all I want to do is collapse into the earth. My chest feels like it weighs a tonne, and I can't bear to look up at their faces. I divert my gaze when I try to go away, but my leg gives out. A third humiliating incident.

"Don't worry about me," I leave and kick my heel from Medea and Hector without turning back.

I bury my sorrows in wine because I can't get those humiliating times out of my head. I have no idea how many glasses I have been drinking. Apollo has vanished without a trace. To be honest, that's probably for the best. I just don't feel like interacting with anyone right now. But then, when I'm about to ditch the banquet, a servant tells me Apollo has some pressing business. All right then, let's get back to the house. It's time to die of shame.

"What a night!"

Third POV

Duchess Natalie's desk is piled so high with papers that it can be seen from across the room. She's been giving herself permission to indulge in her works for days. Although Apollo has taken care of half of it, the Duchess still has a lot on her plate. Only tasks that do not need to be reviewed and approved by Duchess Smith will be handled by Apollo. A servant knocks on the study room. She brings snacks for the Duchess of Light to boost her energy while working. Natalie heaved a sigh, worried about finding a way to leave this world and avoid being killed. Still, Natalie needs to be ready for the worst-case scenario. That is her current incarnation as Natalie. She has no chance of ever going home again.

Her servant, bearing a letter stamped with the Imperial seal, arrives at the door and knocks. It must be the Hunting Competition things. Regardless, Natalie takes the note and opens it to read its content.

For the next two weeks, the hunting competition will be held. All of the house figureheads are obligated to present. In addition, accommodations will be made for all nobles inside and outside the Empire.

Ares James Angelos

Natalie must inform Medea of this, as Hera is in jeopardy. Based on his previous statements, it is clear that Ares intends to attempt another assassination of the Countess. It shouldn't be long until the swordsmanship classes begin. The Duchess of Light plans to talk with her about it. But Duchess Valimos might not have faith in Natalie. Medea is not a fool, and she does not put all her trust in Natalie just because she is changing her side against Ares. If the blonde wants to win Medea's trust in this hunting competition, she'll have to prove herself. Because of this, she summons Apollo to her study so the two of them can formulate a strategy.

"We need to change our ally, Apollo. Prince Ares intends to assassinate the Crown Princess during the upcoming hunting competition. I'm tired of siding with His Highness."

This comment caught Apollo off guard, but he was grateful that Natalie had reached this conclusion quicker. Instead of siding with Ares, Natalie needs to do everything she can to protect and expand her position in the upper social echelons. Natalie's influence has proliferated since she publicly allied with Ares, but she is still skating on thin ice. Even in one night, the Duchess of Light could lose everything. Many people, including her relatives, are plotting the Duchess's downfall.

On top of that, Natalie is the second most powerful noble, only behind Medea. When mining within the Empire, the House of Smith has veto power. The fact that Natalie can sever her ties and business with the other nobles makes her so feared. The House of Smith is vital to the survival of the businesses of some nobles, including Count Harren. However, the House of Smith knows he will turn on her as soon as he is free. Thus, he takes on the role of Ares' eyes, watching Natalie's every move without raising a peep.