Chapter 3 : The Spring Banquet

'Why would ladies be tormented in this outfit? The corset makes it difficult for me to breathe! It's really too unpleasant. They're squeezing my internal organs!'

I scream internally while my servants try to help me with the dress.

"You look great, my Lady. All eyes would be on you tonight," the designer is squealing and trying to praise me simultaneously. I look in the mirror to see the dress.

'Great, my ass. I am miserable because of this dress, you know!? But, at the very least, I look stunning.'

As a mental retort, I pull up the corner of my mouth and nod at the designer.

Carriage riding left me with a painful posterior. Obviously, it hurt a lot. I was under the impression that it was a plush carriage. So we're off to a terrible start. This has seriously dampened my spirits. Apollo, my escort, notices that I'm in a glum mood and tries to lighten the mood by making jokes. Fortunately, after that, I started to feel better.

We're making our way to the banquet entrance now. At first, I'm nervous, but then my worries fade away as Apollo gently squeezes my shoulder and assures me everything will be fine. Being by his side is a blessing. We exchange pleasant looks before the servants make their announcement.

"Announcing the entrance of the Duchess of Light, Duchess Natalie from the House of Smith, and Lord Apollo into the Banquet Hall!"

I can feel all eyes on us as we stroll through the carpet. However, there's a gaping wound on the left side of my brain. When I turned around, I found Ares staring at me, with Countess Hera at his side. Until one of the nobility approaches Ares, we stand there staring at each other. Now he seems really aggravated. Ha! It's about time you get even with him. Then, Apollo says he has to get us both something to drink. The announcer makes another announcement while I wait for him.

"Entering the hall are Duchess Medea of the House of Valimos and Marquess Hector of the House of Alwyn."

It does appear that they are a powerful couple. Duchess Valimos must look very stunning tonight. Dressed in a deep purple gown and accessorised with minimal jewellery, she seems even more attractive. Hector doesn't look too terrible, dressed in a silver suit with a few embellishments to match Medea's clothing. His new look is perfect for him. There is as much attention on them as on Apollo and me. However, rather than being impressed, the crowd seemed to be both disapproving and fearful.

Medea and Hector couldn't care less. After all, they are that powerful. Why, therefore, am I so jaded by it, despite its stunning natural beauty? In an instant, two sets of purple eyes pierced me. Marquess Hector and Duchess Medea are observing me. I want to say something, but I nod my head lightly at them and then go find Apollo, who is occupied with the other nobles.

This night has been a total drain on my energy. I've been talking to the nobility and reinforcing my connections as Duchess Natalie, and now I feel like my social battery is dying. Currently, all I want to do is go home and sleep. The crushing feelings started to engulf me. So I went for a walk outside to clear my head. There's nothing improper about stopping for a moment to contemplate the beauty of nature. The moon is shining brightly tonight and casting a magnificent glow in the garden of the Imperial Palace. Those who haven't seen it in person might guess it's too dark to see anything, yet the gardens beyond are visible. Unfortunately, Prince Ares interrupts me right in the middle of my observation.

"Duchess Natalie, you never cease to astound me when you attend the banquet. You always look wonderful," Ares tries to falter me as he always has with the real Natalie.

His vacuous remarks were useless before, and they were useless today. I am Duchess Natalie, after all. Nonetheless, the thought makes me sick to my stomach.