one

the wind was blowing against mia's body heavily as stood on the edge of the mountain, her eyes closed as she took in everything — the birds chirping, wind howling, water flowing and the trees dancing.

mia had ignored the railing behind her, deciding instead to jump through the gap so she could truly take in the moment.

this forest, these mountains, it was always a place for mia to escape to, a way to forget the hardships she had been enduring, to seperate from society, to appreciate mother nature.

mia doesn't see anyone walk the trek she walks everyday to get up to where she is now, so she truly believes that this place is now her own.

though after a few seconds, mia heard the leaves crunch behind her, and shuffling continue to move closer and closer to where she stood.

"you're not gonna jump, are you?" a man behind mia asked, causing her to jump, instantly gripping the railing for support.

"it's not good to scare people, you know." mia said as she balanced herself, finally opening her eyes, once again met with the beautiful forest trees.

"it's not good to break the rules either." the man stated, obviously referring to how mia had jumped over the railing when it clearly stated not to.

mia looked over to the mysterious man that had crept up behind her, slowly examining his figure.

the young man wore sandals, light brown long pants, a white t-shirt, and a brown bandana around his neck.

his eyes were hazel brown, yet soft and kind. he was clean shaven and his skin was smooth.

he also had fluffy brown hair, that fell just after his ears, though mia couldn't see them, his spontaneous hair was covering them.

"quite rebellious, aren't i?" mia asked from the other side of the railing.

the man smiled, his perfectly straight, white teeth glimmering.

as mia watched him smile, she also found herself smiling with him.

the man walked up beside mia, yet stayed behind the railing.

"it's a much better view from this side." mia stated, prompting the man to climb over the railing to stand beside her.

and eventually, he does.

"it's beautiful, isn't it?" mia asked him, gazing at the breath taking scenery,

"you are." he stated, looking over to mia quickly, but as soon as her eyes met his, he looked down at his hands, playing with his fingers nervously.

mia didn't know what to say, so she stood there, watching as the man stood anxiously.

"aren't you worried if you fall?" he asked mia suddenly, and she quickly looked back ahead of her as his eyes met hers.

"no." mia said simply.

"why not?" he questioned.

"because i wouldn't mind this being the last thing I saw before i go." mia said, gazing out into the mountain ahead of her, decorated with trees.

"i never see anyone here," mia then spoke up, "what brings you here?" she asked.

"i just moved here and wanted to explore." he stated simply, "i'm a sucker for a nice walk and a good view." he added.

"same here." mia said, "i love the mountains, the forest, it's just all so calm here, i don't hear any of the mayhem from the people below us, i just hear the nature speaking to me." she then explained.

the man nods knowingly, understanding where she is coming from.

"where'd you move from?" mia asked, looking over to the young man.

"frankenmuth, michigan." he stated.

"oh i've been there once, beautiful small place. everyone in the town is so welcoming." mia said, reminiscing on a trip she had made with her father years ago, one of the last trips she ever went with him on.

"where are you from?" the man asked her.

"here, east nashville." mia stated and there were a few seconds of silence, the man still looking out into the open, until mia spoke up again, "i know, not very exciting."

"oh no, sorry." he said, looking over to mia, "this place is lovely, i would've loved to grow up here." he then stated, smiling warmly over to mia, which she returns.

"so, you live round here then?" mia asked, wanting to know more about this mysterious man because she finds him interesting, yet she also because she hopes she can get back into the world, perhaps make a friend after what happened. 

"yeah, at the start of this trail our house is just a little ways up the road." he explained.

"our?" mia asked.

"oh. me, my two brothers, and our best friend." he explained.

"well it seems i have a neighbour then." mia said, smiling over to him, because she knows the house they moved into, it had been up for sale for a few months up until now of course.

the man smiled over to mia once again, and she smiled back to him just as she had done previous times before.

the two stood in a comfortable silence, listening to world around them, until mia checked her watch, realising that she'll be late for work.

"oh shoot, i have to go." mia said, pulling herself over the railing, jumping over, "i need to open the store." mia said to the man as he watched her slowly walk backwards, back onto the small dirt path.

mia hesitantly turned around, not wanting to leave just yet, perhaps wanting to get to know the mysterious man better.

"i never got your name!" he called out to mia, and she spun around to face him, though she were more than a few feet away from him.

"i'm mia." mia introduced herself, "and you are?" she asked him.

"i'm josh." he said and mia smiled.

"i hope to see you again, josh." mia said, walking backwards, not wanting to break eye contact with him just yet.

"i'm sure we'll meet again." josh stated, once again smiling over to mia.

mia smiled back before finally making her way back to her house, the thought of josh spinning around in her head.