eighteen

mia dropped to the ground, having no energy to hold herself up anymore.

she let herself succumb to the sadness that she were feeling moments ago.

mia pushed her face in her hands, trying to quieten her sobs, though her efforts were pointless.

the rain began to slow down, and eventually it was just a dark sky, completely resembling how mia felt right now — lost and full of pity.

"mia?" a familiar soft voice asked, and mia quickly perked her head up to see ronnie.

"mia, oh my god." ronnie said, rushing over to mia — who were shivering and shaking — "what's wrong?" she then asked, helping mia up.

"i- i broke his heart!" mia exclaimed, "i didn't want him, ronnie. it was the last thing i want to do!"

"mia, let's go back to the tent, get you warmed up and then we'll talk, okay?" ronnie suggested and mia nodded, sniffling.

ronnie pulled her towel off her body and wrapped it around mia, wanting her to stop shivering and shaking.

they both reached the tent and mia got changed, ronnie waiting outside of their small tent patiently before switching with mia and getting changed.

ronnie then walked out around a minute later, to see mia huddled up on a camp chair, her knees at her chest, still shaking.

ronnie instantly pulled a camp chair in-front of mia, and rubbed her sides comfortingly, trying to stop her shaking.

"tell me what happened, mia." ronnie asked, quietly, as if not to scare her away.

"sammy likes me, he wants to be in a relationship with me and it's so obvious" mia began to explain, calming down slightly.

"sammy is great, he really is, but i can't love him like he could me." mia explained, "not when... not when i..." she trailed off, staring off into space until ronnie's voice snapped her back into reality.

"mia, he'll be fine, and i'm sure he'll completely understand." ronnie reassured mia, "just give him some time to be alone and collect his thoughts."

mia nodded, and swallowed the lump in her throat.

"it's just hard." mia said, "knowing i've hurt him like that." she then added.

"i'm sure over time everything will be okay." ronnie said.

"yeah but what makes things worse is that he knows i like josh, and that josh likes me." mia stated.

"you and josh?!" ronnie exclaims.

suddenly, sammy steps into the tent, and the two women just stare at him, shocked.

"i'm going to leave you two..." ronnie said, slowly getting up and leaving, despite mia mouthing for her to stay.

and before mia knew it, ronnie was gone, and it was just her and sammy, alone.

mia could see that he was a wreck.

"sammy, i'm sorry." mia said, standing up and walking over to him, though he steps back, keeping his distance.

"mia, i don't think you understand." sammy said, "it will be so hard for me to see you and josh together." he said.

"i know, but sammy, i can't just ignore the feelings i have towards him." mia stated.

"i can't think of another life where you're not by my side, mia." sammy said, his eyes becoming watery once again.

"i love you." sammy then revealed.

"you- you what?" mia asked, stuttering slightly.

"i love you, mia." sammy said, now finding the courage to step forward, though instead this time mia steps back.

"sammy, please." mia said, "please tell me that this isn't true, that you're lying."

"i wish it wasn't true, mia. because then i'd have a better chance at moving on from you, but i have no chance of backing out now, i've fallen for you, completely." sammy explained.

mia walked backwards, still facing sammy.

"i'm sorry, sammy." mia said.

"but you don't have to be, mia." sammy said, running over to mia and taking her hands in his own, "we can be happy, we truly can!" he then exaggerated.

"no, we can't." mia said, "because i can't love you like you love me." she restated.

"so are you saying what happened the other night meant nothing to you?" sammy asked, and mia nodded slowly.

mia then pulled away from sammy and turned around, straight into the body of someone she really did not want eavesdropping...

josh.