thirteen

the night went on, and jake became heavily intoxicated, danny and sammy having to carry him to his bed.

danny, sammy, mia and josh however didn't have much to drink, being slightly tipsy if anything.

danny retreated to his room, saying goodnight to everyone, and so did sammy, before josh showed mia to the spare room beside his, the two deciding she should just stay the night since it's so early in the morning.

"do you want me to give you sweatpants a shirt?" josh asked, looking at mia's figure, in her leggings and sweater.

"that'd be lovely, thank you." mia said, and josh nodded before quickly dipping out of mia's room, turning a minute later with clothes in his hands.

"if you need anything else just come to me." josh said, smiling warmly over to mia, and she returned a smile.

"thank you, josh." mia said as he handed her the clothes, before he walked out of the room, closing the door behind him.

mia got changed into the clothes that josh had given her, then flicked the light off and crawled into bed, drifting off into a sleep, but she awoke hours later like she usually does having the sudden quench for thirst. 

mia got out of bed and quietly opened her door, looking down the pitch black hallway that led to the stairs.

she tip toed down the hallway, cringing as the the floorboards creaked loudly.

luckily enough mia made it downstairs without tripping down the steps, and as she began to walk to the kitchen, she noticed that the light was on.

mia then released that sammy was in the kitchen, all by himself, leaning against the countertop as he took sips of his water, his eyes trained ahead of him, but he quickly looked over to mia as she entered the room, and his face lit up.

"wh-what are you doing up?" sammy asked nervously, smiling awkwardly.

"i'm just thirsty." mia stated simply, and before mia could even get to the cupboard, sammy quickly set down his glass, getting another out of the cupboard and filling it up with water from the sink, then handing it to mia, which she thanked him for.

"sooooooo..." sammy said, taking his glass into his hands again, "josh, huh?"

"sammy." mia stated simply, looking over to him, unimpressed.

"i can't help it! i'm curious." sammy said, defeated.

"it's okay." mia stated, "what do you want to know?" she then asked him, before taking a large gulp of her water.

"have you done it with him yet?" sammy asked abruptly, and mia almost spat her water out, choking on it slightly.

"what?!" mia asked, looking at the long haired young man wide eyed.

"i'm sorry, that was forward, i just wanted to know if you have done it yet so then i could see if i stood a chance." sammy elaborated, looking down to his toes shamefully.

"sammy, i really like josh, and i think you're really great too, but i don't want to choose between you two, it isn't right." mia explained.

"it's going to be me or him in the end." sammy said bluntly.

"or i could just not choose at all, and just be friends with the two of you?" mia suggested, but sammy shook his head almost instantly.

"you know you can't do that." sammy said, "you like one more than the other, and i'm almost certain i know who it is."

"well then who do you think i like more?" mia asked curiously, setting down her glass in the sink beside her.

"josh." sammy stated simply.

"you know so much more about him than you do me, and he has a way with just being loveable easily." sammy said.

mia's stomach dropped as she came to the sudden truth.

to mia it was better for her to not admit it, because then it seemed as if she had came to a conclusion and one of the boys would be hurt by her final choice.

"it's okay." sammy said after a long minute of silence, mia being clouded by her thoughts.

"i knew that this would happen one way or another." sammy then said before putting his glass in the sink and quietly walking back upstairs, where mia heard his door softly shut.

mia felt so horrible for sammy, and she could tell her was genuinely hurt.

mia mindlessly walked up those creaky wooden steps and quietly made her way down the hallway, but as she placed her hand on the doorknob of the guest bedroom, she glanced over to sammy's bedroom.

it was like she had no control over her body when she turned around and walked to his door, slowly turning the doorknob slowly in an attempt to keep the noise to a minimum.

mia wanted him to happy, because she felt so badly for the realisation that has struck both him and her.

mia likes josh more than sammy.

but that didn't stop mia from closing the door the behind her, and look to sammy, his phone screen lighting up his face.

mia was silent as she approached sammy who was sitting on the edge of his bed, and he watched cautiously as she made his way to him slowly.

mia lifted the edge of sammy's chin with her finger, and leant down, before moving closer him.

mia felt sammy's heavy breath as their lips were only inches apart, and he was the one to close the gap, being much to eager to have his lips on hers like he did once before.

the kiss quickly escalated into something more, soon leaving the two breathless beside each other, their hair wet and bodies sticky from sweat.

it certainly wasn't mia's intention to hurt sammy, but deep down she knew it was going to happen sooner or later.

but it's now that mia realised that she may be hurting one more person.

someone she definitely did not want to get hurt.

considering that he was the one she actually had feelings for, not sammy.

josh, mia thought to herself.