twenty

mia turned over and held the husky teddy tight to her body, not ever wanting to let go of such a precious item.

mia forced her eyes shut, wanting to fall asleep like everyone else had, but she couldn't find herself even coming close to being in such a state.

everyone had wandered off to bed, so the only thing mia could hear was the soft breathing of ronnie on the small bed beside her, and the crickets surrounding their tent.

that is until she heard a zipper of a tent, and as curious as mia is, she decided to go and investigate, to see who was awake, hoping that whoever it was would keep her company for just a little while.

mia slowly pulled the zipper on the tent, trying to make as little noise as possible, until she successfully made it out of the tent.

mia saw a little light ahead of her in the other, larger tent, and a figure sitting on a camp chair.

she decided to inspect.

as mia got closer and closer, she realised who it was sitting on the chair.

it was sammy.

mia gulped nervously as she approached sammy.

"couldn't sleep?" mia asked as she stood in-front of him, and his head shot up to the young woman.

"nah." sammy said, looking back down to the light in his hands.

mia looked out ahead of her, seeing the full moon reflect onto the water.

"want to go for a walk?" mia asked, looking down to sammy.

"sure." he said, getting up slowly and shutting off the light, chucking it onto the seat.

mia and sammy walked in silence onto the beach, listening to the waves crash ahead of them.

eventually, mia found a place to sit on these large sandbags, sammy also taking refuge next to her.

there were seconds of an awkward silence, though mia spoke up.

"i hope things aren't awkward between us." mia stated, "i'm sure over time things will get easier."

sammy shook his head

"things may get easier, but that doesn't mean that i'll be able to move on from you." sammy said.

mia sighed.

"sammy, i love josh, and i can't picture myself without seeing him beside me." mia explained, "i'm sorry that i've hurt you. believe me when i say it was the last thing that i wanted to happen, and you call me selfish for putting you in this situation but it still won't change my decision."

"you love josh?" sammy asked.

mia stared into blank space for a few moments, thinking about what she had just said, because the words just simply rolled out of her mouth.

but what she had said was indeed true, because she does love josh.

she loves his little awkward dances, his goofy laugh, his cute little smile, his spontaneous hair, how his eyes sparkle whenever he looks at her, how he always manages to tell when something is wrong and lastly...

how he makes her feel loved.

that was something mia had been lacking since he'd father died, and although sammy claims he loves mia, it isn't the same as how josh makes mia feel.

"i do." mia said, coming to terms with her realisation.

mia looked over to sammy as the moonlight illuminated on his face.

she watched as he closed his eyes and dropped his head low.

"he loves you too, i can see it." sammy stated.

after a few seconds he spoke up again.

"can i atleast be invited to your wedding?" sammy asked, looking over to mia.

mia smiled brightly, "you can be the flower boy if you're not already josh's best man." she stated, and sammy laughed.

he's back, mia thought to herself.