Chapter 3

Know that I know Riley goes to the same college as I do, I've now been seeing him around campus. Not to mention he's in three of my classes. And we keep making eye contact throughout the day, it's weird.

After all my classes are over for today, I go to the bus stop, waiting for the bus to come so I can pick Zoey up from school.

I groan loudly when Riley also comes to the bus stop.

"Can I have your number? I really do need to buy you another hearing aid."

"No."

"Yes."

"No."

"Yes."

"No!"

"Yes!"

"No Riley. You cannot have my number."

"Yes Keely. I'll just go get it from your parents."

"No, you won't."

"Oh yes, I will."

"No!"

"Yes!"

Finally I just take out my one hearing aid, and silence surrounds me. I smile to myself. I totally won. Riley doesn't know sign language so I definitely won that.

Soon enough, the bus comes. Riley and I make eye contact for a split second, then race each other onto the bus. I make it first, and Riley scowls at me as I take a seat towards the front.

I put my hearing aid in, and sit back and enjoy the few seconds of peace. Until we come to a stop right in front of Zoey's school. I get off the bus, and my jaw drops when Riley also gets off the bus.

"What are you doing?!"

"I wanted to know the same thing." Riley says crossing his arms.

"Well I asked you first."

Riley groans and flips me off, and then proceeds to hold the door open for me, and I thank him before I can stop myself.

"I happen to be picking up niece. You?"

"Ha, as if I'd tell you."

Riley glares at me as we keep walking side by side until I come to Zoey's classroom, with Riley still next to me.

"Hi, I'm here to pick up Zoey." I say smiling at Zoey's teacher.

"And I'm here to pick up Evelyn." Riley says smiling wider then I did at the teacher.

The teacher calls Zoey and Evelyn, who are playing at a table together. Oh my gosh, Evelyn Zoey's best friend is Riley's niece?!

Zoey comes to me, and she looks confused. She watches me stand there for a second, and then smiles.

'Hi mommy! Did you loose one of your hearing aids again?'

I smile sheepishly at her. 'Maybe?'

Zoey shakes her head grinning. 'You need to keep better track of your things. And why aren't you just talking?'

I glance at Riley quickly who's watching Zoey and I talk. 'Because that guy doesn't know sign language and he's annoying.'

Zoey looks at Riley and narrows her eyes. Placing her hands on her hip, she looks Riley up and down.

"I'll be keeping my eye on you. If mommy doesn't like you, then I don't. Be careful, I will bite you."

My jaw drops as I look at Zoey in disbelief. Ok, that was awesome. But being the good mom I am, I crouch down in front of Zoey.

'Zoey, what did I say about threatening to bite people? You can't do that baby.'

'What? He may be Evelyn's uncle, but if you don't like him, he might get bitten. It's just how the world works.'

I shake my head and pull Zoey into a hug. "You're crazy baby."

I pick Zoey up, and walk away leaving Riley staring at me. So much for keeping him from finding out I have a daughter. Oh well.

Zoey and I wait at the bus stop, and soon enough Riley and Evelyn also come to the bus stop.

"So Keely, do you not have a car too?" Riley asks. And before I can even answer Zoey answers for me.

"My mother doesn't have to answer your questions. And even if she did have a car, she wouldn't tell you."

"Zoey, be nice to Riley." I say sternly. Zoey pouts and gives me puppy dog eyes.

"But he's your moral enemy!"

I chuckle softly. "He's not my moral enemy. We used to be best friends like you and Evelyn. He's just really annoying."

Zoey nods, but then narrows her eyes at Riley. "I'll be keeping a close eye on you."

The bus comes at that same moment, and again Riley quickly race to it. I still beat him, and get the better spot towards the front. And by that I mean he's sitting directly behind us.

Zoey and Evelyn start a conversation with each other, and soon enough we're at the apartment building Zoey and I live at.

I get off the bus, and I am so close to screaming in frustration when Riley also gets off the bus. He groans and runs a hand through his hair.

"I cannot believe it, not only did we just find out we go to the same college, but we also live in the same apartment building. What's next? Being neighbors and not knowing it?!"

I turn to Riley when we both stop at our apartments, which are right next to each other. "You jinxed it moron."

Riley rolls his eyes as he unlocks his door. "One more time, give me your number."

"One more time, no."

And with that we step into our apartments, slamming our doors behind us.