Chapter 30

Riley got back with Zoey, and we decorated the cake together. Laughing all night long as we had a small food fight with the left over cake. Zoey fell asleep as we were cleaning the kitchen, and I fell asleep with Riley on the couch.

Today was a good day. And that's saying something considering that today seven years ago I was raped by the man I thought I loved.

Right before I fell asleep, one thought was stuck in my mind. The fact that I so desperately wanted Riley to be Zoey's dad. The two of us made it so far without a man in our life. Zoey didn't need the male figure because she had my brothers and my dad. She didn't need a dad. But ever since Riley came back into my life, I realized how wrong I was. Zoey does need a dad. She needs someone to look up to, not a grandparent or an uncle. She needs a father figure. I can now see how much Zoey loves Riley, and how she needs that man in her life.

I remember a day ago when Zoey asked about Riley just moving in with us. I pushed the thought away, because I was scared. But now, I'm starting to think it might be a good idea. We literally spend the night at each other's places every night. I'm not sure why I even thought living together would be a bad idea.

...

I feel someone gently tap my shoulder. I open my eyes, and see Riley smiling down at me.

'Good morning sweetheart.' He signs. 'I love you.'

"Love you too raincloud." I say as I sit up and take my hearing aid off the coffee table and put it in my ear.

"Just giving you a heads up, your parents are on their way over." Riley says.

"What?!" I yell as I jump off of him. "Why?"

Riley shrugs. "No idea. They called me and told me to tell you since you were probably still sleeping."

I sigh and rub my forehead. "Sweet. I should go wake Zoey up."

I walk into our bedroom, and Zoey is already up and on her iPad. She looks up and waves at me. "Hi mommy! Just doing some of my homework!"

I blink. She's doing homework?! I have truly raised an angel. I never even asked her to do it. River is going to so be jealous. His kids are stupid. I love them with all my heart, but no one can compare to my Zoe.

"Ok good. Grandma and grandpa are coming over." I say and Zoey squeals.

"Yay!!"

I smile and walk back out of our bedroom, just in time to see Riley answer the door for me. My parents walk in, and o wave happily at them.

"Hey mama, pops."

"Keels. How've you been?" My dad asks as he puts his hands in his pockets.

"Good. You?"

My dad glances at my mom, and winks. "Just great. Isn't that right darling?"

My mom slaps dad on the shoulder and smiles at me. "We just missed you baby. You haven't been over in forever."

Just then Zoey runs out of our room and jumps on my dad. "Grandpa!!"

My dad holds Zoey close to him. "Your mother has something to tell you Keels. Zoe wanna go to the park out back?"

Zoey nods, and my dad walks off with Zoey.

"Keels, we've got some news. Let's sit."

Riley and I go and sit on the couch, and my mom sits on the coffee table. "Keely, I'm guessing Riley is fine to stay with what I'm about to say right?"

I nod. "Yeah, I trust him."

"It's about your family." My mom says, getting straight to the point.

"What about you guys?" I ask.