Artist For Hire

The birds always woke me up without fail. Those noises they made were impossible to ignore, "So annoying." I thought to myself as I slowly rose from my bed, stretching my arms high in the air as I released a low groan. I swung my legs over the edge of the bed, throwing the blankets off and sighing.

  I changed out of my simple pajamas, a black t-shirt and black shorts, and changed into my outfit for the day. A pale green button up, deep green pants with the bottom of the legs rolled up to  my calves, and my dark brown sandles, a proper outfit that complemented my masculine figure.

  "Alright. Time to set up shop." I huff as I gather my easel and stool, canvases, and paint supplies. I walk outside to be greeted with the lively chatter of everyone in the village, Encanto. As I walk to the center to set up my equipment, I notice several people gathering around a woman dressed in a pale lavender dress. As I sit on my stool, I watch as she gracefully throws her arms in the air and all of a sudden, the floor surrounding her and the group is covered in flor de mayo.

  "Isabela, you've done it again!", " So beautiful!", "Truly, a work of art!", I hear different praises as I admire the flowers growing and spreading around the floor. I nod my head as I begin my art  process. I steal several peeks at her as I lightly sketch her body and the flowers, making sure to capture her likeness. It isn't until I'm actually painting her dress when I feel someone's hand on my shoulder.

   "Se ve tan hermoso.." I turn my head to see Alma Madrigal, admiring my work in progress. "Oh, uh, thank you ma'am-" I'm slightly cut off when she lets out a light chuckle, placing her other hand on her chest, "Don't be so formal, por favor, I'm just simply telling the truth!" I smile, "Still, I appreciate the compliment." I turn my attention back to my painting, finishing up the dress. I look over back to Isabela, who's walking this way with a smile. Alma waves at Isabela, gesturing for her to come over. "Isabela, look at this! Doesn't it capture your beauty?"

   I peek up and see Isabela take a moment to look, placing a finger on her chin. "I love it!" She exclaims, smiling wide, "Is this for me?" I choke a little on nothing but air, "Uhm- I was actually just painting to paint-" I glance between Alma and Isabela, "But... sure! I can finish this up for you!"

  Dumbass.

______________

  Next thing I know, I'm walking alongside Alma and Isabela over to their legendary house, La Casita. I'm not paying attention to anything they're talking about, my attention is laser focused on the magical house, the window shutters moving, the floors wriggling around. It's too much!

   The three of us stop in the center of the house, presumably the gathering area, and Alma rubs a gentle hand on my back, "You can finish your painting here! I need to discuss something with the rest of my family for a moment." As she walks off, Isabela flicks her hand in the air and several vines come hanging down and she's suspended in the air, "I'll sit here so you can capture my likeness accurately!" She exclaims, sitting on a makeshift swing. I smile lazily and get back to painting.

___________

   I hear the laughter and noise of multiple adults and children grow closer as I finish adding details to the painting. "Oh, how beautiful!" I see an older woman dressed in a blue dress and apron approach me. She smells rather nice, as if she just came out of a bakery. Someone else walks up beside me, a girl in her teens, and pushes up her lime green glasses, "I like the colors," I notice her eyes glancing back and forth from my painting and Isabela, "You did a nice job." Her tone seems a little forced but I don't dwell on it.

  I hear Alma approach now, "Then it is decided!" She pats my shoulder with one hand and uses the other to gesture to the large family that's now gathered around, "You will paint something extraordinary of our family!" Again, I choke on air but also shock, "I-I'm sorry, what?" Alma laughs and takes the painting of Isabela, "Do not worry, I will be paying, of course! Such talent can't be appreciated properly without proper payment!"

   I look around and see everyone look at me with anticipation. My knee starts bouncing. I'm avoiding everyone's eye contact. "...Okay." I muster up with a smile, "I can paint you all." Alma places the canvas back down onto the easel and hugs me, "¡Magnífico!" She releases me and turns to the family, "I want everyone on their best behavior! Our guest,"

   Guest?

   "Will be staying for the next two weeks to really work hard on the painting!" I hear scattered cheers.

   What?

   Alma turns to me again with a smile, "Mirabel will show you to the nursery, where you will be staying." She walks away, going up some stairs, "This calls for a celebration dinner!"

   Oh, lord.