Nervous System

Weeks have gone by, I haven't seen Bruno in a while. Every now and then I look at the crack in the family tree and wonder if Bruno cares.

Has he been waiting for me every night?

Or has he gone back to sheltering himself?

It's morning. Everyone has left to do their chores in the village. I stayed behind to sweep around, humming to myself softly as I dance around. I slow my sweeping, feeling a presence behind me. "..Bruno? I know you're there behind me." I mutter, stopping completely. I turn around and see Bruno standing, obviously nervous and fidgeting with his fingers.

"What're you doing? You're going to get caught." I step closer and I notice his body tense. Bruno looks up and his eyes have such a desperate look, he seems so depressed. "I-I haven't seen you in weeks," He starts to crack his fingers anxiously, popping the knuckles, "I was worried that I did something wrong," I immediately place a hand on his chest, frowning, "No, no. You didn't do anything wrong at all."

I take a moment to breathe, feeling my body shake, "Dolores told me that she knew about us talking at night and I guess her words made me paranoid."

I look up and Bruno looks so distraught, "I shouldn't have abandoned you at all. I'm so sorry. Can you forgive me? I understand if you won't-" I'm interrupted by Bruno when he pulls me into a hug, his arms wrapped around me tightly. "Estas equivocado." I start to tear up and my body shakes more, "I understand completely, Pip. It's going to be okay." I begin to cry into Bruno's shoulder, stifiling my voice a little. We take a moment to soak in the hug before I pull back, not letting of Bruno though.

"I don't get it, you're forgiving me? Just like that? I left you alone for weeks." Bruno cups my face with one of his hands, his thumb wiping a tear from my cheek, "You're.." He pauses for a split second, "You're precious to me, Pip. I know what it's like to need to hide." I chew on my bottom lip, frowning and trying my best to hold back tears.

"I-" He hesitates, "I just don't want to lose you so quickly, mi amor,"

"Mi amor?" I think to myself, a blush slowly creeping onto my face.

Bruno continues, "All of our talks. Our moments are special to me." His touch was so warm, I lean a little into his hand, "Maybe we should come up with something? Like a thing for us to tell each other that we're here for one another." I nodded and released Bruno from my hug, his hold on me tightening a little more, "Maybe a knock? I've seen you knock on wood before.." I mutter, my voice a little shaky. He nods and smiles, "Perfect."

__________________

Night time falls and I'm laying in bed, my back turned to Mirabel and Antonio. I'm trying to sleep but it's hard. It's not until I hear three soft knocks from the wall I'm facing that I start to smile. I knock back twice and place my hand on the wall, "Goodnight, Bruno." I whisper before falling asleep.