Badger

The entire family is awake, everyone is doing something to help out. Except Mirabel and I, we're both walking around the Casita trying to seem busy. Mirabel wanted to help but nobody really allowed her to.

It's only a few days until Antonio's gift ceremony and everyone is trying to plan ahead for it.

"Are you alright?" I asked, placing a sympathetic hand on Mirabel's shoulder. She only nodded with a sigh. I can imagine that she has mixed emotions about it.

Jealousy, excitement, sadness. We stop at the nearby river in the Encanto and we both sit by it. I take my sandals off and dip my feet in while Mirabel brings her knees close to her chest.

"I'm just worried," She starts, "How is the family going to react if he doesn't get his gift?"

"Mira, if anything bad happens between the family and Antonio," I stare at the river, leaning back a bit, "Then it just proves that the gifts your family have are being prioritized wrongly."

Mirabel looks up at me, pushing her glasses up, "I just don't want him to experience what I experience." Mirabel sighs deeply, adjusting her seating so she's sitting with her legs crossed, "He's going to be five and no child should have that weight on their shoulders."

I can only nod. I befriended Mirabel quickly when I was enthusiastically welcomed into the Madrigal family. We both had no gifts, no actual place in the house. It was difficult at first, seeing her being treated as the runt of the family but I made sure to make her feel like she was just as special.

Mirabel moves closer to me, "What happened last night?" I immediately tense up.

"What do you mean?" I sit up straight. I can't tell her about Bruno. As much as it hurts to keep the secret that her Tío has been around this whole time, she can't know.

"Well, you were moving around so much last night. I didn't want to wake you because I didn't want to scare you but it was concerning."

"It was just a nightmare, Mira." I laugh nervously, "Childish things, y'know?"

"But then this morning you practically jumped out of your skin!"

"Nightmares."

"You yelled my Tío Bruno's name."

Fuck.

I stood up and put my sandals back on, "I'm telling you, I had a nightmare. That's it!" I helped Mirabel up before frantically trying to walk away.

"But, we barely mention him! How is it that you're dreaming about him?"

"Mira, please," I huff and stop my pace, "We all have this weight of trying not to talk about him. I see him in the family tree painting and the large wall mural in the village, he just got in my head last night. That's all!"

"Are you sure that's all?"

I groan and continue to walk, "We're getting close to the village. You can't mention his name anymore." Hopefully that stops her but to no avail, she kept asking.

Mirabel finally stopped when we got to the Casita, seeing Alma pace around probably helped.

"Abuela? Are you okay?"

"Yes, yes, Mirabel. I'm just making sure that things are where they should be for the day." Alma sounds incredibly stressed. Her face is painted with worry.

"Alma, if you need proper help, all you have to do is ask me," I step in now, "I'm willing to help and so is Mirabel."

Alma smiles and places a hand on my face and Mirabel's face, "And I am so grateful for you both. Always jumping to help out."

I can tell she's trying to calm herself down with that statement. Alma is so quick to tell someone to help but she seems resistant to let us help out.

"Perhaps you two can see if someone needs help cleaning around Casita." Alma smiles warmly, patting our faces before walking away to Isabela who's growing patterns and rows of Flor de Mayo around the Casita.

"C'mon Mira, let's see if your Papá needs help."