Name Calling

It's been a year now since I've met the infamous Bruno.

We spend our nights together, chatting in his makeshift room adjacent to the kitchen. Sometimes, we even go out of the house and spend time going on walks away from Casita and the village, not too far though seeing as how the Encanto is surrounded by large mountains.

It was a bit difficult to get him to sneak away at first, "C'mon, Brunito, what's the difference between you hiding and sneaking in the Casita's walls and you sneaking outside of the walls?"

"I'd be visible! Wh-What if someone sees me?" He fidgets with his fingers.

"Bruno, nobody is awake at this hour, it'll be fun!"

It really is fun. Bruno listens to my ranting about my day, I listen to his new ideas for a screenplay. I've found something, and someone, that brings genuine and simplistic joy in my life.

I'm twenty one now and I've noticed that throughout our time together, he makes me nervous but in a good way. I see his smile, and I just want to pause time and stare at his smiling face. I hear his laugh and it's like music to my ears.

I might have a crush.

Only a crush.

..Hopefully.

____________________

I wake up with a stretch, the sunlight filling the nursery. I look over and see Mirabel and Antonio sleeping soundly, not being bothered at all. "If it's early.." I feel my face getting warm, "Maybe nobody else is awake and I can pay Bruno a visit." And just like that, I'm dressed and sneaking to the painting that so obviously holds the most hated, yet amazing, man in the Encanto.

I sneak inside, careful of making any loud noises, and begin my trek. I've never gone behind the walls by myself, Bruno would always be with me. I pace myself though, making sure to be prepared for the large gap in the floor.

After a bit, I see it. The hole. "Maybe this was a stupid idea," I huff and stare across, "He's on the other side." I pause for a moment before I start to look for the long wooden board, "Yes!" I exclaim with joy as I pick the board up and place it down carefully, "Okay, you can do this. Just run across and don't look down."

I place my foot on it like always and....

I panic. I can't. I'm too high up.

"Cariño, you can do it," I look up and see Bruno standing on the other side with one hand stretched out. He's wiping his eye with the other. "B-Bruno! Did I wake you up?" He shakes his head and smiles, "Yes and no, I was waking up already when I heard the sound of the board hitting the floor."

Bruno fixes his position and reaches his arms out for me, "You've done this so many times, Corazón! Are you still scared?" His voice is sweet and yet has a tinge of tease in it.

"I'm not! I'm just," I balance myself on the board, slowly walking towards him, "... Nervous." I cringe when I say that. I glance down for a millisecond and I feel myself begin to freeze.

"Nervous? Why's that?" He's trying to take my focus off of the height.

"I-I don't know," I scooch my feet, god this is taking forever, "I just wanted to surprise you with a visit and now I'm trying not to die-"

I feel Bruno's hands grab my waist and he pulls me towards himself, "Cariño, I'd never let anything happen to you." His arms are around me now and I feel my chest tighten.

Yes, the catch was way smoother than the first time but I didn't expect his behavior to be smoother either!

I look up at him, wrapping my arms around him now, "What's gotten into you, Bruno? You're calling me all these nicknames and you're not even stuttering."

With how close I am to him, I can feel his heart beat quicken, "I-I don't know," There's the stuttering, "I just feel like it was okay since y'know," He releases me and gestures to my whole self, "You give me all kinds of nicknames!"

He's right, I do. I don't show any shame either. My delivery with the name calling is so quick too that it catches him off guard completely and it's so..

Cute.

"Oh?" I chuckle and cross my arms, "I'm not sure I know what you're talking about!" I lie, obviously, and he plays along. Bruno scoffs and frames his face with his hands dramatically, "Oh, mí amor, it's so niiiice to see you tonight!" His voice is higher pitched now and I pick up that he's mocking me.

"¡Oh, mi primer y único amor!" He laughs but I gasp and push his shoulder, "I haven't said that!" My face gets hot and he walks towards me, forcing me to back up against the wall.

"But, you could," His voice is low and raspy almost, he leans closely to me and I feel his breath against my face, "Podría ser tu amante y sin embargo no lo soy. ¿Porqué es eso?"

Holy shit. He's too confident, I can't handle this. What's gotten into him?? It's so overwhelming but yet it's so nice to see him like this. How do I begin to process this?

_________________

"Bruno!"

I shout and suddenly I'm in the nursery. I'm sitting up in my bed, drenched in sweat, and I see Mirabel staring at me in her bed.

"...Are you okay, Pip?" She looks concerned, "You were tossing and turning all night."

"Y-Yeah, Mira. I'm fine. I uh.." I lay back down, "...Nightmares. Just need a moment."

I'm breathing heavily out of embarrassment and panic. Now I'm having dreams of Bruno. "Oh no."

I realize that this isn't just a crush anymore.

For fucks sake.