Little Closer

And that's how I got to know the most amazing, magical, and friendly family I've known. I've lived in the Encanto for a few years, since I was a teen, probably around sixteen. I'm twenty years old now and I've gotten so close with everyone, they all tell me everything. Except for one thing.

_______________

   It started when I was hired to paint their family mural and I had to stay for two weeks. I was getting to know everyone and surprisingly, they were all so welcoming. I assumed it was just basic kindness but something about how warm I felt when they all treated me as their own, I knew my life would change.

   I walked around the Casita, talking to everyone, sketching them all whenever I would to talk to someone. But I noticed something, they already had a painting of their family tree in the dining area. It had everyone too, but there was someone new, someone I hadn't met yet.

   Bruno Madrigal.

   I asked the family about him, starting with Pepa. "Nope," She shook her head as a small cloud started to form, "We don't speak of that man here." Then I asked Felíx, "Oh man," He was pacing back and forth, waving his arms around, "¡Ese hombre era una maldición!" He was, unfortunately, stopped by Pepa who shooed him away. I asked Alma about him but she dismissed it with a simple, "Not right now."

   "So, I guess this Bruno guy is out of the picture,"  I gave myself a chuckle before going to Mirabel, walking around with her as I sketched her face and clothes loosely, "So..." I started, "Do you know who this B-" Mirabel cautiously shushed me with a hint of panic, "We don't talk about Bruno here." I must've had a look on my face when she said that because she went on, "I don't know the entire story but one day he just disappeared, never to be seen again."

   "Do you know why?" We both stopped in front of the nursery, where I was staying with Mirabel, "Not really." I let out a huff as Mirabel opened the door and we sat down on her bed, discussing whatever we wanted.

_____________

   Now I'm twenty years old, a regular friend of the Madrigal house, and a strange interest in shoving my nose in the whole "Estranged Tío Madrigal" business. I've definitely heard the classics about him. Apparently he singlehandedly made a man go fat and another man bald with just his future vision gift. He also killed a goldfish. How does that even work? I've also heard Camilo's entire take on the man. Somehow, it's a little hard to believe that there's somebody in the family who's seven feet tall. Except for Luisa who's about six foot.

    "It's true!" Camilo says, shifting his form with a twirl flourish, turning himself into a man with scraggly hair, sunken neon green eyes, and a hunched posture, "First, he looks you dead in the eyes and," He jumps at me, flashing a creepy smile, "¡Cuidado!" I took a step back and pushed Camilo away, "Don't be stupid! You really think that?" Camilo shifts back and lets out a laugh, "It's a possibility!"

    But, deep down, he's right. It is a possibility. I've never seen him, only through paintings and pictures scattered through the house and the Encanto village. How would I know what Bruno actually looked like? I shoo Camilo away as I wander to the kitchen, spotting Julieta cook some arepas for the family, "Don't listen to that boy," She says, kneading the mixture of corn flour, "He loves to exaggerate, especially with his gift." I chuckle and lean against a counter top parallel to Julieta, "I can tell...so he does it often?" I try to pry some knowledge from her, knowing that she would have actual input about her outcast brother.

    "Yes.. Camilo is definitely Felíx's son. They both love to spread things about..." Julieta glances over to me with a shrug, "You-know-who. Even though he wasn't like that at all." I must've done something to show that my interest has piqued, "Before he left, he was such a..." She paused her work in thought before resuming, "...Nervous man," Julieta let out a soft chuckle, "He was always worried about something." I crossed my arms and cocked my head a little, "Why was he though? If he was worried, couldn't he have used his gift or something to see if it was worth worrying over?" Julieta laughed quietly, turning to me and putting her hands on her hips, "He could have but he felt as though it would've ended badly." I nod, looking down at the floor, "Did everything turn out badly for him?"

    Julieta sighs, hesitating a little before continuing her work, "You see how we all are when his name is mentioned. You tell me." I chuckled wearily, "You got me there."