Falling

It's been a few days since Bruno and I talked. Every now and then, I hear some faint knocking and it warms my heart. I knock back as well, placing my hand on the wall and continuing my day. Alma has noticed but hasn't really said anything.

She pulled me aside one day, away from the others, "Pip, I've noticed you've been staying behind to clean, are you doing okay?" I simply nodded with an easy, "Yeah!" Leaving Alma behind as to not make her suspicious or angry.

Lately, I feel as though Bruno and I are growing closer. I can't really explain it. Maybe it's in my head. I see him and I feel my chest tighten, my face gets warmer, and I get so nervous. Tonight, he's showing me his secret area inside the walls, I'm so excited.

It's the middle of the night. I step down to the kitchen and,

"Pip!" It's Alma, stepping out of her room. My heart is racing. "What are you doing out so late? Estás bien?" Her voice is hushed, she looks a little worried. I stretch and yawn, scratching the back of my neck. "J-Just a little thirsty!" God damn it, if my voice doesn't calm down.

Alma frowns and walks over to me, placing her hands on my cheeks, and then another on my forehead. "You feel a little warm... Maybe you should try eating some leftovers if possible." She pats my face softly, "Perhaps, tomorrow you and I can spend some time with each other! You could paint if you'd like."

She sounds so kind, her smile is so comforting, and her touch makes me feel safe. "That sounds divertida, Alma." I place my hand ontop of hers and she hugs me, "Buenas noches, Pip."

And with that, she returns to her room. What was she doing up? I shake my head and clear my thoughts. I begin to head down stairs before I hear a "Psst!"

I turn and see Bruno peeking out of the painting in the hall, next to Alma's room. "Mi amor! C'mere!" He's whispering, he must've heard Alma. I walk over and look in the fairly large hole, "Woah..."

Bruno holds his hand out for me and I take it. His fingers caress my hand and they tighten a little as I step down to the inside of the wall. I stumble a little but Bruno catches me. "Thank you.." I mutter, looking up and smiling.

We both walk the halls closely together. I'm trying to fight the urge to hold his poncho. Bruno stops walking and I bump into him, "Ah- Sorry!" I stammered, "It's okay, just be careful," I look up and Bruno is pointing to a hole in the floor.

Within seconds, I watch Bruno hop along the wall until he successfully jumped across the hole. Bruno then takes a long wooden plank from the side of the wall and places it down across the hole. He holds his arms out and motions for me to come to him, "¡Vamos! Just run and don't look down!"

I take a deep breath and stepped onto the board, my balance already wavering. I look up at Bruno and speed up, "Catch me, catch me, catch me!" I shout, reaching for Bruno.

Next thing I know, Bruno grabs my hands and pulls me forward, the both of us falling down. Bruno had his arms wrapped tight around me, breathing heavily and sitting up. "Are you alright?" I nod and avoid making direct eye contact. I get up slowly and help Bruno get up. "Thank you," I say, smiling up at him. "Of course, Pip."

I follow Bruno down the long hallway before he stops and puts his hand up, "H-Hold on," He breathes, takes a moment and knocks on the walls several times, muttering to himself. Then he holds his breath and walks down the hall fast. I follow him, hesitant to hold mine but I do it anyways. We both exhale loudly and Bruno knocks again, "Why do you do that?" I speak quietly just in case someone's up.

Bruno shakes his head, "It's just a thing, it makes me feel better." He laughs nervously.

_______________

After a bit, Bruno pushes open a wall piece that reveals an entire room lit up by a small yellow light. I immediately gasp. "This is where you stay?" I excitedly whisper, immediately running over to a small barrel that seems to have a makeshift theatre and try hard to ignore the fact that our hands brushed against each others, "What is this?" I point happily, "Do you do puppet shows??"

Bruno laughs and shrugs, "Yes and no," He walks over and picks up two rats with one hand, and lifts up a small board with a drawn romance scene, "You like Telenovela's, yeah?" He positions the rats and stands back in joy, "Eh? What do you think?"

I look at the display and then Bruno, smiling wide, "You made this? This is great!" Bruno laughs and sits in his large red chair, "¡Gracias!" I walk over and sit on the floor beside the chair and lean against it, "So you just sit here and watch your rats do little plays?" Bruno shrugs and nods, "Basically. I-Its nice though, not a lot to stress over."

I rested my head on the arm of the chair and watched Bruno pick up a book from the side of the chair, "You like books?" I nod, simply enjoying the time I'm spending with Bruno, "D-Do you care if I read this?"

"Of course not, mi tesoro," I purr, getting comfy on the floor. I notice Bruno get a little flustered at my comment before starting the book.

His voice was so calming, it definitely made me feel safe. I stared off towards Bruno, his face relaxing and his hair framing his face perfectly. He sounded so relaxed, so sweet. I watched him flip through pages, licking his fingers before grabbing the page. He treated the book so delicately, as if it were to shatter completely in his hands. I wanted to hold his hands so badly. To have them hold me, petting my hair.

I blushed a little at my thoughts before yawning, "Bruno," I stretched my arms up before scooting myself closer to his legs, "I think I'm getting tired," I muttered. Bruno's face grew red seeing me how I am and closed the book, "Understandable! Uhm-" He patted my head and nodded towards the door, " 'Scuse me."

I rose from my spot, helping Bruno up too. We traveled back to behind the painting, "It was nice having you here.." He sounded nervous, "Maybe you can-" I kissed his cheek, "I had a great time. I'd like to come back again." Bruno tensed and blushed, "Th-That sounds great!"

I gave him a smile and waved goodbye, walking away to the nursery.

Holy shit I can't believe I did that.