Let's Just Talk About Bruno

The next morning, I was the first awake. I was so light on my feet, already starting on my daily chores. Sweeping the floor, wiping any door frames, dusting the painting, I felt invincible. So why did my chest feel so heavy?

Once everyone was awake, I was just about to finish sweeping the center area. Alma, Julieta, Agustín, and Luisa were the first ones to start their day. Alma did her usual wake up calls, knocking on everyone's door before coming downstairs. Julieta gave me a soft pat on my back as she walked to the kitchen to start cooking breakfast with Agustín, who gave a kind smile and thumbs up. Luisa waved at me as she began her morning exercise.

I wiped some sweat off my forehead as I put away my cleaning supplies and went back to the nursery to grab my sketchbook and pencils. Mirabel was waking Antonio up and gave me a nod, "Buenos dias, Pip!" I smiled and leaned against the door frame, "Morning, Mira! How'd you sleep?" Mirabel sat on her knees next to Antonio's bed, putting her arm on the bed and leaning her chin against her hand, "I slept well, heard some noises from downstairs though," She raised an eyebrow, "And you weren't in bed? How did your night go?"

I tensed a little, obviously I couldn't tell her why, "I was, uh, thirsty." I awkwardly smiled, hoping she wouldn't pry. "Sounded like you were talking to someone though."

God damn you and your curious spirit, Mirabel Madrigal.

"It was Casita."

"Only Casita?"

"Yup, only Casita."

"... Are you sure it was Casita?"

Por el amor de Dios.

"I've never been so sure that it was Casita."

"It was." Antonio was sitting up, rubbing the sleep from his eyes, "I came downstairs and they had just finished drinking.." I let out a sigh of relief, "See? Toñito's got my back!" I nodded over to Antonio and smiled. Mirabel chuckled and rubbed Antonio's back, "Okay, okay, I won't pry."

Thank god.

______________

We were all sitting around the table, eating our food and idly chatting anongst each other. Except I wasn't really paying attention to anyone, my mind was focused on the family tree painting behind Alma. I was staring at the crack. I knew he was there. I definitely knew that he was there, sitting in that red chair and listening to us.

My leg began to bounce anxiously. Why hasn't anyone noticed? The crack was so obvious. Or is it only obvious now because it was pointed out to me? Can he see us? Can he see me? Is he watching me right n-

"Pip!" I practically jumped out of my chair when Pepa tapped my shoulder and small burst of thunder rang through my ears, "Pepa, cloud." Alma said. "I know, Mamá, sorry." Pepa waved her cloud away and turned her attention back on me, "I was trying to get your attention. Are you alright?"

It took me a moment but I nodded and ate some of my food, "Yeah! Sorry, I guess I was deep in thought." Pepa's face contorted a little, "About what?" I poked my silverware into my plate of Cayeye, my leg bouncing a bit faster now.

"Silly question coming up," I looked up at Pepa, "Why don't we talk about Bruno?"

The entire table halted and stared at me. A giant cloud formed above us which Félix immediately began to shoo away with one hand and use his other to rub his wife's back. I glanced around the table, everyone was just looking at me.

"We don't talk about that man." Alma's voice cut through the thick stagnant air. Everyone hesitantly started to eat again but, "Why not?" I stupidly, but rightfully,  asked. Alma put her hand up, as if to stop me, "That's enough, end of conversation." I huffed and slouched, "I'm just curious, is all." That must've done it because Alma stood up, "That's enough!" Everyone's eyes were back on me, "I said end of conversation, Pip. We all welcomed you into our home, do not make me regret it, please."

I felt so small. I didn't realize how delicate the subject was. I nodded and finished my food, standing up and clearing my spot. "I'll be cleaning upstairs if you all need me." I sighed and walked off. "Please, Pip, ten cuidado. You really shouldn't speak about things you don't know anything about." Alma said in a melancholy tone. I turned my head around a little and gave her a smile, "I know, Alma, I'll try my best."

_______________

I sat in bed, hunched over my sketchbook. I began to sketch myself, Mirabel, and then Bruno started to appear on my page. Then more of him. He was all I could think about. I was trying to remember what I could see from last night. I didn't see a lot, considering it was dark and the only light was coming from his eyes. I paused to take a look and frowned. He looked so... evil.

I huffed and turned the page. But now I couldn't even bring my pencil to my sketchbook. I tossed the book to the end of my bed and laid down, frustrated. Maybe this was the 'curse' he mentioned. Not being able to get him out of your head. I sat up on my elbows and stared at the door, "Everyone should be gone by now.." I chewed on my bottom lip as I got up and peeked out the door and listened.

.
.
.

Nobody was home so I took the opportunity to go down to the kitchen and look for where Bruno might've came from. I wandered around, trying to find a secret door or something. Pushing on every loose floorboard, every cabinet, anything! But I didn't find anything. Yet.

I looked through the crack in the family tree and saw him. He was... sleeping? I took a step back and knocked on the wall. ".... Bruno?" I muttered. But no avail, he was still asleep. "Sorry if you heard all of that earlier." I apologized, placing a hand above the crack.

I felt goosebumps on my body when I felt a small poke on my palm, "It's alright." His voice sounded so raspy. "Nobody's here right now... Can you come out?" A moment of silence passed before I heard creaking, "... No. Not now." I frowned and huffed, "Why?" Bruno laughed and I swear I felt my chest tighten a little, "You're just like Mira. Always asking questions you shouldn't." I knocked once on the wall, "Well, maybe if someone answered our questions, we wouldn't be so curious!"

Another moment of silence. "I don't want to. Not yet, at least." I removed my hand from the crack and peeked through. I saw his neck and chin. He had some black scruff that was peppered with white hairs. "Why's that?" I asked, "That's all you get today." I was then met with dark hazel eyes, "No more questions until tonight."

I smiled wide and stepped back, "Sounds great! Meet you here tonight then."