Hesitation

It's Antonio's birthday today! He's getting his gift which means that the entire Encanto is frantically getting everything ready. Flowers are blooming, thanks to Isabela, the weather is perfect, also thanks to Pepa, and the preparations are coming together nicely, thanks to Alma.

Mirabel and I are rushing around trying to help but there are children asking us so many questions so quickly that we're both getting distracted.

"What's his gift??" One kid asks, "We don't know!" Mirabel answers.

"What's your gift?"

I notice Mirabel tense. She easily deflects it though with a simple, "Well, I can't just talk about myself!" And she begins her tangent about her family's gifts. The kids are running around us while we walk to the large family mural in the village for a better explanation.

I stand back for this, leaning against the wall and watch as Mirabel tries her best to avoid answering the dreaded question about her own gift.

She goes on and on, I follow behind. "There's so many people in my family and you're asking about me only?" Mirabel looks nervous and she looks at me for help, "Hey kiddos, why don't we just leave Mira-"

"Mirabel!" I'm interrupted by Alma's shouting, "What are you doing?"

Mirabel gestures to the kids, "Oh, they wanted to know about the family so Pip and I were-"

"She was just about to tell us about her super awesome giiiiiift!" One of the kids next to me shouts, pointing at Mirabel.

Dolores pops in, "Mirabel didn't get one." After hearing this, the kids all turn to Mirabel with a look of disappointment and bewilderment.

It's going to be a long day.

_____________________

It's night now, which means it's time for Antonio to recieve his gift. I'm in the nursery though, sitting on my bed with my back against the wall. There's a small hole I carved through the wall too.

"Is he nervous?" A voice comes through the hole. It's Bruno's voice.

"Incredibly nervous." I let out a light chuckle, "Who wouldn't be though? He's got the weight of the entire Encanto on his shoulders."

"He's going to be fine," Bruno sounds relaxed, "I'm sure of it." I laugh quietly and lean my head back against the wall.

It's quiet for a moment. My legs are close to my chest, my arms wrapped around my legs. I can hear Bruno breathing loudly though.

"I miss you." I break the silence.

"I miss you too, mi alma." He responds quickly.

"...Are you ready to come back soon?" I know he doesn't like to think about it but I can't help and ask him.

There's another moment of silence. I get worried until he takes a breath, "Soon, amor de mi vida. Soon." Hearing that makes my chest warm and tight. I feel my heart skip a beat.

I hear my name being called out, so I knock on the wall three times. "I'll see you soon, Bruno." With that, I leave the nursery to join the others for Antonio's ceremony.

_______________________

I walk down the stairs to the main area. I happen to spot Dolores from afar and she gives me a frustrated look before quickly walking away.

Sorry not sorry, Dolores.

I stand by the front entrance of Casita and watch as Antonio stands still underneath the archway. He doesn't seem to be moving. That's when I notice Mirabel standing close by him. Antonio reaches out for her and says, "I need you."

As soon as Mirabel joins Antonio's side, the entire crowd, including the rest of the Madrigal family, looks surprised. She helps him walk to his door. I can tell Mirabel is anxious for him.

My thoughts are interrupted though when I hear a small noise beside me. I turn my head and notice a little crack in the wall.

"What..?" I mumble before hearing Alma shout, "We have a new gift!" I turn and see Antonio and his door. Animals from everywhere are flying in.

I ignore the crack for now, and dash up the stairs to Antonio and hug him, "Congratulations, Toñito!" He hugs me back before running into his new room. I glance around the area for Mirabel. She looks so sad. I walk over to her and hug her arm, "How are you feeling?" Mirabel tenses immediately and looks away, "I'm happy for him."

I frown and let go of her, "But?" She takes a moment to compose herself before looking back at me, "But nothing, Pip. He's got a gift. He's happy, the family is happy, and I'm happy." I sigh and take a small step away from her, "I won't press further then, Mira. But if you just need to talk, I'm here." Mirabel nods before leaving me. She walks over to her family group and I watch as she stays out of a family picture.

"Ugh, I can't be here right now," I think to myself as I walk out of Antonio's room and sit on top of the stairs. I look up and I can see the night sky. There are so many stars out, so many constellations. I let out a sigh and look down at my hand. I really wish that Bruno was with me right now, holding my hand. I need him.

I'm cut off from my thoughts when I hear something break. I stand up from my place on the stairs and see a shattered roof piece on the floor. "What the..?" I mutter as I go down the stairs and pick the piece up.

"Pip?" I gasp and drop the roof piece, cutting my hand in the process, "Mirabel-!" I shout, "Wh-What's wrong? Are you okay?" I turn to her and watch as she walks over, picking the piece up, "What is this?" She asks before a large crackling noise echoes through the Casita. We both turn our attention to the floors and walls, watching cracks crawl up towards the candle. The candle flame flickers for only a moment.

For a split second, I think about Bruno and if he's okay.

"M-Mirabel...The candle.." I mutter, "What's happening?" Mirabel turns to me and she points to Antonio's room, "We have to tell Abuela."

We run to Alma quickly, politely shoving ourselves past everyone in the crowd. "The house is in danger!" Mirabel shouts, "Cracks began to appear and the candle almost went out." I nod along with Mirabel and glance over to Alma. "Show me, please." She says and we both lead her outside.

But the cracks are gone and the candle is fine.

"The cracks were here, Abuela, I swear." Mirabel is looking around frantically, "Pip saw them too!"

Alma turns to me with a frown, "Pip? Is this true?" I stay silent for a moment. I look up at the candle and see that it's totally okay. There are no signs that there were cracks or anything whatsoever. Mirabel and Alma are staring. The crowd of people are staring. My chest feels so heavy. I need Bruno.

"Your silence says everything," Alma says, glaring at Mirabel. I look over and see Mirabel staring at me in disbelief. "I-It's true though, Alma!" I finally say. I gesture to the candle, "The flame flickered and there were cracks surrounding it!"

Alma puts her hand up, "Pip, I know you're trying to help Mirabel feel better but nothing is wrong." She turns to the crowd enthusiastically, "Everything is fine! Nothing is wrong! The magic is still strong and so are the drinks," She winks over at the crowd, "Let's continue the party!"

Alma leads the crowd back to Antonio's room, leaving me and Mirabel alone. Mirabel turns to me and frowns, "You hesitated."

"I-I didn't mean to leave you hanging like that, I swear-"

Mirabel huffs and goes to the nursery, "It's fine, Pip. Go talk to my mom for your hand." I hear the nursery door open and slam shut, the noise echoing.

Now, I'm alone. I might've fucked up.