Trouble

I woke up with a stretch, yawning and scratching my chin when I remember the events of last night. I couldn't help but smile wide. I ended my night perfectly and I'm starting my day great. I get dressed quickly and begin to help Alma wake the others, knocking loudly on everyone's door, except Dolores' door of course, and began to help Julieta with breakfast.

I then help Luisa set up the table as best as I could and I spot Mirabel talking to what seemed like Dolores but it only happened to be Camilo. As I walk to Mirabel, Camilo and I bump hips.

"Oh, Pip," He stops and taps my shoulder, "Dolores wants to speak with you later today, don't know why though." I freeze, "Oh god." I think to myself. "O-Okay." I smile and continue over to Mirabel, "Hey Mira, hey Dolores." The two look at me like I'm some sort of criminal before Dolores squeaks and quickly walks off.

"She okay?" I ask, grabbing a plate and some arepas, "...Yeah, I was just asking her if she knew anything about what happened last night." I tense up a bit as I continue grabbing some food, "Oh? Did she say anything?" Mirabel nodded, walking to the table but stopping next to me, "Yeah. Luisa is freaking out and she knows something about you. She didn't tell me what though." I turn to talk to Mirabel but she was already close to the table, sitting next to Luisa and taking Pepa's spot.

"Don't freak out. Nothing bad is going to happen." I repeat in my head as I sit at the end of the table with my food, avoiding any sort of eye contact with Dolores and Mirabel.

____________________

At the end of breakfast, I watched Mirabel run and follow Luisa. Dolores came to me with her arms crossed, "Pip."

"Dolores."

"We need to talk." Her voice, even though it's quiet, has so much anger in it. She leaves to the nursery and I follow hesitantly.

I walk in the nursery and Dolores closes the door. The silence is unbearable, my hands start to sweat from anxiety. She stares at me with worry and anger.

"Do you remember what I told you a year ago?" Her voice is shaky now and now she's not looking at me, it looks like she's trying to avoid looking at me.

I nod with a simple, "Yes." And Dolores finally looks up at me, "You both sound really happy now." Another moment of unbearable silence.

"But?" I break the quiet, furrowing my brows in concern. "But sooner or later, they're going to find you sneaking around." Dolores walks closer, "And this... thing you have for my Tío won't be accepted." She places a hand on my arm but I only take a step back.

"I don't see what the big deal is," I start, "You guys don't even acknowledge his existence so why acknowledge it now when I exist with him?" I can feel myself getting angry. I don't want to lash out.

"Pip, you promised to be careful."

"And I am! We only see each other at night, I make sure to not speak about him and-"

"That's not what I meant when I said to be careful." She interrupts and grips my arm now, her fingers digging into my skin. "I wanted you to be careful so you couldn't fall in love with him! We haven't seen him in so long, he could be dangerous now."

Silence. It's so quiet now. We're staring at each other. Dolores still has a grip on my arm.

"But why? Why do you get a say in what I can or can't do?" I'm trying my best to bite my tongue. "I'm not, I just wanted you to be careful so you can't face any negative repercussions! He's-" She quiets down and leans closer, "He's fifty years old, Pip! You think that'll run over smoothly with Abuela?"

I jerk my arm away and walk past Dolores to the door, "I don't think it matters. If Alma has a problem with it in the future then she can talk to me about it." I leave Dolores in the nursery and stand alone for a moment.

I look over to Alma's door and notice the stairwell at the end of the hallway. Bruno's real room.

If he's so dangerous, then I'm sure there's something in his room that'll prove he isn't.

"I know he isn't but jesus, I need something to show Dolores that he's fine." I think to myself as I quickly go to his door. The door isn't golden like the others. It's covered in cobwebs and the wood looks so dry. I open the door and...

"Mirabel?"

I see Mirabel in the room and Mirabel turns around to face me quickly, "Pip! Wh-What're doing here??" I closed the door behind me, "What are you doing here?"

Mirabel pointed to the wall made of falling sand, "I'm here to see how I can save the miracle. Now why are you here?" I chewed on my bottom lip and nervously laughed, "I-I am too! I just didn't expect you to be here as well."

Very convincing.

Mirabel gave me a look before motioning for me to come with her, "Then let's go." We both took a step beyond the sand wall and instantly fell down a large sand hill.

Jesus Christ.