EIGHT

┍━━━━ ➶-͙˚ ༘✶ ━━━━┑

𝐆𝐎𝐋𝐃 𝐑𝐔𝐒𝐇

┕━━━━ ➶-͙˚ ༘✶ ━━━━┙

"𝘌𝘺𝘦𝘴 𝘭𝘪𝘬𝘦 𝘴𝘪𝘯𝘬𝘪𝘯𝘨
𝘴𝘩𝘪𝘱𝘴, 𝘰𝘯 𝘸𝘢𝘵𝘦𝘳𝘴
𝘴𝘰 𝘪𝘯𝘷𝘪𝘵𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘐
𝘢𝘭𝘮𝘰𝘴𝘵 𝘫𝘶𝘮𝘱 𝘪𝘯."

"Tell me now

"Tell me now. What happened to your face?"

Sturmhond stood in the arched doorway, a grim expression on his face. His eyes were focused on Seraphina, who was now standing in front of her hammock, the ice abandoned somewhere on the floor. Tolya and Tamar shared an uneasy look, feeling the tension that was beginning to build.

Seraphina's nerves were beginning to swarm in a frenzy, her shoulders were stiff as she stared at her captain. His usual cheerful demeanour was gone, strong and tan arms crossed in front of him. It was obvious that there wasn't much room for an argument. The key word being 'much'. Seraphina intended to argue her way out of this one, it was easier for them all if they pretended nothing had happened.

"I had an allergic reaction."

Tamar tutted, fighting the urge to shake her head. Sturmhond's jaw clenched. He started towards her, his footsteps heavy against the floor.

"Tolya, Tamar, leave us for a moment please," he said without taking his eyes of the Healer.

The twins nodded their heads silently, exiting the room swiftly. Seraphina sucked in a breath, he was so close that she could see the few freckles that dotted his cheeks. His eyes were stormy, and Seraphina was afraid she'd crack under his gaze. But for the sake of all of them, she could not.

"Seraphina," his voice was soft and deep as he reached for Seraphina's hand. "Tell me what happened, did somebody hurt you?"

"I told you. I had an allergic reaction," she swallowed.

Sturmhond closed his eyes, an obvious sign that he was trying to not lose his patience.

"Who did this to you?"

"I did. No one else is going to give me something I'm allergic to," Seraphina laughed, but Sturmhond didn't even smile.

"Who did this to you?" he repeated.

Seraphina's knees felt weak. She was trying her hardest not to focus on how the dim light from the oil lamp hit his ruddy hair in just the right way, or the way his dark lashes rested gently against his under eyes. His eyes were closed, but Seraphina felt like it was the first time she was seeing him properly. She wanted to reach out and trace the smooth skin, the curve of his jaw and the bump in his badly set nose. Had he always been this beautiful?

Of course he had.

He was beautiful in a way like no other, Sturmhond was certainly not a smooth line, he was rough and bumpy in a scruffy way that nothing else could compare to. But yet, he was so undeniably comely.

"Everything is okay."

"Lovely, this is not okay. Do you really think I'm okay with the fact that someone has the audacity to lay even a finger on you? I won't have it Seraphina. Now, tell me. Who did this?"

The authority was evident in his voice, but underneath the authority lay the worry that seeped through his veins the moment his eyes set on the girl. Why did someone think they could hurt her? He hated it. There was nothing he hated more than knowing he didn't stop it.

Someone had hurt her, laid their hands on her and it made him furious.

Seraphina was beginning to crack under his pressure. What was she supposed to say? There was nothing she could say. It would only be another lie that left her lips. She didn't want to keep lying to him. Was it wrong if she was lying to keep the peace?

She let out a sigh, the corners of her mouth were drawn down. Reluctantly, she pulled her hand from his grip. There was only one way to avoid this confrontation further, and that was to leave him standing there on his own.

But Sturmhond would not allow that. He needed to know what happened. His fingers wrapped around her wrist quickly, holding her in place before she could turn to leave.

"Seraphina, I am your captain and I demand to know what happened. This is my ship and if there is a problem arising, I will fix it."

Seraphina scoffed. She should've seen it coming. At the end of the day, he would always be her captain. She worked for him of course. The dark haired girl shrugged out of his grip, her eyes narrowing.

"Don't push your luck Sturmhond. You may be my captain, but there is still a way off of this boat."

Sturmhond was quiet. He hated using that leverage over her. But he didn't see why she couldn't just tell him. He opened his mouth to speak, however, Seraphina had decided she was done with this conversation. At this point, she just wanted to to bake a nice strawberry tart and spend the rest of her night in peace. So, she walked away silently, leaving him standing in room alone.

➶-͙˚ ༘✶

The crew were beginning to grow restless and watchful. There was still no sign of the sea whip and Seraphina wanted to do nothing more than throw the Darkling overboard, leaving him to swim with sharks. Maybe that would teach him not to slap her.

The Healer was yet to talk to her captain since the other night. The conversation they shared was not a big deal, but Seraphina knew that his mind was putting the pieces together. Sturmhond was many things, but he certainly wasn't stupid.

Seraphina was beginning to tire. How much longer would this journey take? They had a plan, a plan that was crazy and utterly idiotic, but it was a plan. Despite the 50% chance that she'd make it out alive, Seraphina couldn't wait for it to finally be brought to action.

But of course, the timing depended on the sea whip. It was certainly taking it's time. That was until Seraphina had overhead Genya telling Alina they'd found something.

AUTHOR'S NOTE |
i don't really like this chapter. it's messy and kind of boring, but i've edited it so many times and i think this is the best i'm going to get for now. i just needed something to shift the story along. we also got serious sturmhond... either way, i hope you liked the chapter ! please don't be a silent reader <3