NINETEEN

┍━━━━ ➶-͙˚ ༘✶ ━━━━┑

𝐆𝐎𝐋𝐃 𝐑𝐔𝐒𝐇

┕━━━━ ➶-͙˚ ༘✶ ━━━━┙

"𝘌𝘺𝘦𝘴 𝘭𝘪𝘬𝘦 𝘴𝘪𝘯𝘬𝘪𝘯𝘨
𝘴𝘩𝘪𝘱𝘴, 𝘰𝘯 𝘸𝘢𝘵𝘦𝘳𝘴
𝘴𝘰 𝘪𝘯𝘷𝘪𝘵𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘐
𝘢𝘭𝘮𝘰𝘴𝘵 𝘫𝘶𝘮𝘱 𝘪𝘯."

Watching him fascinated Seraphina more than any tide the sea could offer

Watching him fascinated Seraphina more than any tide the sea could offer. She questioned how he managed to win over the crowds so easily, he handed out gold coins and sacks of sugar in every town they visited. Nikolai brought the people hope with every switch of his personality. Seraphina saw that he was the man Ravka needed.

It seemed he had a different personality for every occasion, Nikolai Lantsov was the embodiment of a plot twist.

The more she watched, the more she realised that even if he was a liar, he was so incredibly good. Nikolai may have been bred for a life of luxury, but out in the open planes of the Ravkan summer, he was just an ordinary boy that her heart was becoming mesmerised by despite her head shouting in protest.

Dusk was beginning and the sun was sinking in the sky, casting tiny beams of sunlight over their group. Nikolai was riding up front with a few of his men, and his golden hair seemed to outshine the sun in this lighting. Why couldn't he have just been ugly?

"Fantasising about the heavenly prince again?" Alina teased from her horse, Seraphina had been caught staring.

"You know, it's obvious he likes you too. This journey is torturous when the two of you are pining over one another," Mal added.

Seraphina rolled her eyes. "Like you two are any different, I recall you sulking for the first part of the journey Mal."

Mal swallowed quickly. Seraphina was right after all. Alina couldn't help but laugh though, causing the two next to her to join in. It certainly wouldn't be a journey Seraphina would forget, even if she did feel like her death was looming over her, at least she had her friends to share some laughter with in the summer evening.

When they reached the inn that they would be staying at, Seraphina noticed the way Nikolai began to make a beeline straight towards her. She slipped away quickly, hiding behind Tolya's gigantic frame. He grunted in amusement.

"He's not blind Seraphina."

"He will be if he doesn't leave me alone. I won't hesitate to poke him in the eye."

Tolya sighed, the pair of them heading inside. The inn was lit with a homely gleam, it was comforting in it's small stature and their party was greeted with respect due to the fact that they were travelling with Nikolai. Seraphina's feet instantly moved her towards the crimson armchair that sat in the corner, it looked much more comfier than her horse's saddle.