TWENTY NINE

┍━━━━ ➶-͙˚ ༘✶ ━━━━┑

𝐆𝐎𝐋𝐃 𝐑𝐔𝐒𝐇

┕━━━━ ➶-͙˚ ༘✶  ━━━━┙

"𝘌𝘺𝘦𝘴 𝘭𝘪𝘬𝘦 𝘴𝘪𝘯𝘬𝘪𝘯𝘨
𝘴𝘩𝘪𝘱𝘴, 𝘰𝘯 𝘸𝘢𝘵𝘦𝘳𝘴
𝘴𝘰 𝘪𝘯𝘷𝘪𝘵𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘐
𝘢𝘭𝘮𝘰𝘴𝘵 𝘫𝘶𝘮𝘱 𝘪𝘯."

Seraphina was at Nikolai's side the moment he sent for her, being told it was an urgent matter caused her stomach to rock with nerves

Seraphina was at Nikolai's side the moment he sent for her, being told it was an urgent matter caused her stomach to rock with nerves. With the war being so close she was afraid things would be left unsaid, despite the kiss, they hadn't talked about it.

Things continued the way they were, stealing glances at one another from across the room, longing gazes and midnight meetings. It was a secret, their moment would be kept a secret, neither of them knew how long it would have to be that way but Nikolai had deemed it too much of a risk to announce anything official.

Seraphina knew that Nikolai's one love was Ravka, she'd had her sneaking suspicions for a while, despite that, she wanted him. But was she truly ready to accept what came with wanting Nikolai?

They entered the war room to find Alina and Mal waiting for them, Nikolai pulled a chair out for Seraphina before he took a seat next to her, she thanked him silently, trying to figure out why the room felt so tense all of a sudden. Perhaps Mal had been an idiot for what seemed to be the millionth time recently.

Nikolai ignored the tension, continuing with his usual act of nonchalance, "Don't suppose anyone's rung for tea?"

Seraphina's green eyes followed his movements, observing him gently as he stretched his long legs out before him, making it very obvious to bump his against her own. She fought the urge to roll her eyes jokingly, now did not seem the time for jokes. Tolya and Tamar followed Alina's order to join them, sitting down at the table with the four of them.

"I went among the pilgrims this morning," said Alina.

Seraphina's eyes widened, Nikolai's demeanour changed, the easy-going prince disappeared.

"I think I must have misheard you."

Seraphina watched as Alina refused to meet her gaze, she did not want to watch the disappointment swim amongst the emerald seas.

"I'm fine," Alina responded.

"She was almost killed," said Tamar.

"But I wasn't."

"Are you completely out of your mind?" Nikolai asked. "Those people are fanatics. How could you let her do something like that?"

The situation wasn't making sense, Seraphina knew that the twins followed Alina with fierce dedication, there was no way they'd let Alina walk into a death trap. She looked over at Mal, who looked desolate and immediately her brain put the pieces together, he wasn't where he should've been.