THIRTY

┍━━━━ ➶-͙˚ ༘✶ ━━━━┑

𝐆𝐎𝐋𝐃 𝐑𝐔𝐒𝐇

┕━━━━ ➶-͙˚ ༘✶ ━━━━┙

"𝘌𝘺𝘦𝘴 𝘭𝘪𝘬𝘦 𝘴𝘪𝘯𝘬𝘪𝘯𝘨
𝘴𝘩𝘪𝘱𝘴, 𝘰𝘯 𝘸𝘢𝘵𝘦𝘳𝘴
𝘴𝘰 𝘪𝘯𝘷𝘪𝘵𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘐
𝘢𝘭𝘮𝘰𝘴𝘵 𝘫𝘶𝘮𝘱 𝘪𝘯."

Despite the chaos and panic that had erupted within the room, all Seraphina could seem to hear was silence, her chest heaved up and down with anxiety and the blood pulsed through her veins

Despite the chaos and panic that had erupted within the room, all Seraphina could seem to hear was silence, her chest heaved up and down with anxiety and the blood pulsed through her veins. Nikolai's hand slipped from hers and she began to feel as if she was falling, slowly sinking into a sand that would bury her.

The windows shattered and glass began to descend like raindrops, Seraphina barely registered the glass cutting her cheek, she needed to get to the Little Palace. She needed to find David. She would not lose him to the Darkling, not again.

Seraphina heard the whirring of insects before she saw the nichevo'ya, their shadows swarming the room with a darkness that felt suffocating. Nikolai's hand found hers once more, tugging her along although her feet protested as she stared at the horror in front of her.

"Get the King to safety!' Nikolai shouted, revealing his sword and darting towards his mother, Seraphina's hand still tightly pressed in his.

The Healer decided it was best to help Nikolai, she could ensure he and his family were safe before she made her way to find David. Madness rained around her, the nichevo'ya destroyed anything in their sight, and Queen's screams pierced her ears.

Vasily's arm had been torn from his body, the blood pouring from his arteries until his body was dropped to the floor in a lifeless heap. The Queen tried to reach for him, but Nikolai held her back, soothing her to the best of his abilities.

The army of nichevo'ya seemed to have no end, they ascended on them, they'd have no choice but to run, they were impossible to fight against without Alina.

"We need to leave! I'll help you get them to safety!" Seraphina shouted to Nikolai, leaving out the part where she'd have to leave him.

He nodded his head, turning on his feet and readying himself to run. It was a mad rush, Seraphina's surroundings blurred around her as they escaped the Grand Palace, she nearly lost her footing on the marble steps but willed herself to keep going.

Loud booms filled her ears, she could only hope it was the Grisha using the dishes, she was desperate and they had no other option, they couldn't fight the Darkling like this. They were unprepared.

Explosions rocked the ground, they'd taken the longer route to the Kingfisher, it was their only option. Seraphina needed more options. She wished so badly that Vasily had not gotten himself involved, this bloodshed could have been prevented.

Once they made it to the Kingfisher, Seraphina helped Nikolai get his parents onboard, reassuring them that they were being taken to safety, everything would be okay, she told them, Nikolai would look after them. But, Nikolai couldn't ignore the way Seraphina only said his name, she was going to be with them...

The King and Queen were settled into safety, the war still raging on them around them as Nikolai began making preparations to leave. She watched him rush about frantically, her heart silently breaking, wondering whether this would be the last time she saw him again.

She had to bite the bullet. She needed to find David.

Her footsteps were quiet against the atmosphere, but Nikolai heard them instantly, he turned to face her, his stomach beginning to fill with dread as she walked towards the end of the Kingfisher, he wouldn't be able to get them leaving in time.

Within two strides, Nikolai was in front of her, his hands gripping hers tightly, her eyes threatening to spill with tears when they looked up at his. His heart began to break, she was scared, and he seemed to already know that there was no changing her mind.

"Nikolai, I can't stay. I need to be with my people. I need to fight with them. For them."

"You can stay. I promise you. I will not let a thing happen to you. I will protect you with all that I have."

And Seraphina knew that he would, she had no doubts.

"I need to go."

"Seraphina, I beg of you. Please. Stay," Nikolai pleaded, the desperation in his tone overwhelmed her.

"I have to find David. I cannot leave him. Nikolai, I promise you, I will find you," She said softly, her hands reaching up to cup his face.

His large hand rested on top of hers. "No matter what, Seraphina, I will make my way to you."

"I know, and together we will save the world. I promise. But right now, I need you to save yourself."

Nikolai tried to smile, for the first time, he wasn't sure if he could even crack a joke. He was losing his love, not knowing if or when they would be reunited. He pressed his lips to hers in a hurry, trying to take in as much of her as he could.

"Be brave for me, lovely," Nikolai whispered, his lips inches from Seraphina's.

"Always," Seraphina replied, tears falling from her eyes.

Before Nikolai had the chance to wipe them, she was gone, and letting her go had been the hardest move he'd ever had to make.

AUTHOR'S NOTE ||
it's been a long time, but because of the release of season 2, i thought i should probably update. this is rusty, i haven't written anything since november, so i hope it's okay for you guys. thank you for the endless support on gold rush <3