TWENTY FOUR

┍━━━━ ➶-͙˚ ༘✶ ━━━━┑

𝐆𝐎𝐋𝐃 𝐑𝐔𝐒𝐇

┕━━━━ ➶-͙˚ ༘✶ ━━━━┙

"𝘌𝘺𝘦𝘴 𝘭𝘪𝘬𝘦 𝘴𝘪𝘯𝘬𝘪𝘯𝘨
𝘴𝘩𝘪𝘱𝘴, 𝘰𝘯 𝘸𝘢𝘵𝘦𝘳𝘴
𝘴𝘰 𝘪𝘯𝘷𝘪𝘵𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘐
𝘢𝘭𝘮𝘰𝘴𝘵 𝘫𝘶𝘮𝘱 𝘪𝘯."

Baghra's hut was awfully hot

Baghra's hut was awfully hot. Sweat was beginning to form on Seraphina's brow and she found herself itching to tie back her hair. Entering the old woman's hut was like entering an enormous oven. The room held hardly any furniture other than the bare necessities and it was dark, the way Baghra liked it.

Seraphina's hands were shaking, ragged breaths leaving her lips as she ventured further into the little room. The Healer's heart raced against her ribcage as if it were trying to escape, she tried to calm herself by gripping the silk dress Zoya had given her to wear. She had faced literal monsters, so why did visiting an old woman feel like she was on her way to face her death.

To be fair, she had every reason to be afraid. Old people could be scary. Let alone the woman who gave birth to the Darkling, Seraphina couldn't blame her for being grumpy, if she had to put up with the man for as many years as Baghra had she probably would have offed herself within the first few.

Bahgra was huddled by the fire in a faded kefta, a servant sat by her. She didn't recognise him and found this to be strange, in all the years she'd known Baghra the woman had always relied on herself and herself alone. It was unusual and certainly unlike her to employ a servant, especially one as young as the boy who sat beside her.

"No visitors," the boy said.

Seraphina raised her eyebrow at him, she could at least try to be intimidating. "I'm sure the woman can speak for herself."

A gasp left the woman's lips at the sound of Seraphina's voice, it was one she hadn't expected to hear again. Was she relieved that the girl was still alive? Baghra told the boy to leave sharply, smacking her stick against the ground.

The boy scurried away instantly, the door closing behind him. Things were silent, Seraphina's chest heaved up and down. She was unsure of what she was supposed to do. Baghra wasn't known for invitations to tea parties.

"Well? Are you going to sit?"

Seraphina nodded quickly, hesitantly moving to sit in the chair that the servant had vacated.

Seraphina's brain stuttered. Everything stilled inside of her. Then a tidal wave seemed to crash over her in horror, green eyes flitting over Baghra's face. It was not the graying hair or the soft wrinkles blurring her features that made Seraphina choke.