NINE

┍━━━━ ➶-͙˚ ༘✶ ━━━━┑

𝐆𝐎𝐋𝐃 𝐑𝐔𝐒𝐇

┕━━━━ ➶-͙˚ ༘✶ ━━━━┙

"𝘌𝘺𝘦𝘴 𝘭𝘪𝘬𝘦 𝘴𝘪𝘯𝘬𝘪𝘯𝘨
𝘴𝘩𝘪𝘱𝘴, 𝘰𝘯 𝘸𝘢𝘵𝘦𝘳𝘴
𝘴𝘰 𝘪𝘯𝘷𝘪𝘵𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘐
𝘢𝘭𝘮𝘰𝘴𝘵 𝘫𝘶𝘮𝘱 𝘪𝘯."

The mist in the air was the heaviest Seraphina had ever seen in her time at sea, it clung to anything in it's path and caused Seraphina to shiver in the grey morning wind

The mist in the air was the heaviest Seraphina had ever seen in her time at sea, it clung to anything in it's path and caused Seraphina to shiver in the grey morning wind. Sturmhond called orders to the crew as they turned, revealing a wide mass of ocean.

Seraphina stood with a lantern in her hand in attempts to help see through the cloudiness, Tamar stood by her and Tolya was over with Sturmhond. The ship was silent, a slow anticipation beginning to crawl through the atmosphere. Not long left now, soon Seraphina would have her peace and quiet and things would be back to normal aboard the ship.

Well, that depends on how the plan worked out. Part of her was quivering with fear, scared that she wouldn't make it out alive and someone would have to tell her brother the news of her death. But the other part was roaring with excitement, she couldn't wait to feel the adrenaline pooling in her bloodstream.

There was a smudge of colour in the distance, Seraphina recognised it to be another ship. Ivan notified the Darkling, who began to question Sturmhond, irritation in his voice.

"Are they flying colours?"

"Probably fishermen," Sturmhond responded. "But we'll keep an eye on her just in case."

Sturmhond signalled Seraphina silently, she gave him a curt nod before making her way up the main royal, pulling the long glass from her coat pocket. Seraphina shivered, her green eyes watching cautiously as the long boats were prepared and lowered over the side within minutes, filled to the brim with the people she knew as friends.

Their oars slapped against the waves, taking them out further. Time felt sickeningly slow, it seemed to move in seconds that felt like hours. Perhaps if she had a time machine things would have been easier, she'd be able to see the future, see what mess this plan would create for them.

Tamar scampered up the rigging to get a better look, a lantern in her hands. Her golden eyes caught Seraphina's, the two of them sharing a knowing look. Seraphina had never been one to pray to the Saints, but if it would help the outcome of this then she'd spend her last minutes praying silently, in hopes they'd be on her side.

Alina and the other prisoner stood with their foreheads rested against one another, seeming to forget their surroundings. What was it like to be on the run and in love? Seraphina didn't know. Or perhaps she did. Was she still on the run?