Chapter 20: The Ball Goes On

Surveying the crowd, Darian found all was in order. Everyone was dancing, behaving themselves for the time being. However, he couldn't help but feel his heart hurt.

He loved being a hunter, but longed to join in with the rest of the people drinking and being joyful. He even saw the regular guards dressed up, not so disguised by the hideous black masks that covered half their face.

Amidst the crowd, Darian saw him. Zane. he was sitting upstairs alone, watching the crowd of people dance and move around. Just watching, and occasionally sipping a glass of red wine. Feeling a pang in his heart, Darian averted his gaze.

"Hurts, doesn't it?" An annoying voice chortled next to him. Darian sighed, turning to face the man who had been relentlessly bullying him for years.

"I'm sorry sir, are you causing a disturbance?" Darian threatened. The man scowled.

"Come now Darian, you know my name may as well say it," the man hissed. However, Darian had actually forgotten the man's name, and try as he might he was drawing up blank. The expression on his face gave him away.

"It's Quinn," Quinn rolled his eyes, pulling up next to Darian and standing by his side. Darian was trapped, unable to get away from the man.

"Nice shirt, by the way," Quinn offered, a small olive branch. Darian nodded stiffly, knowing that anything he said would be used against him. In truth, he was extremely grateful Dirella had given him the shirt. It was graceful and elegant, and still practical. Just like he was.

Quinn noticed Darian gazing at Zane, and a sly smile played at the corner of his lips.

"He still hasn't forgiven you, you know," he chuckled, gazing up with him. A light bulb seemed to go off in his head, as a mischievous look appeared on his pale and clammy face.

"Watch this," Quinn whispered into Darian's ear, before sauntering off. Darian watched, confused, as Quinn walked to the other side of the balcony and stood next to Zane. A small exchanged was made, before Zane took Quinn's hand. Quinn then led Zane down the stairs and onto the dance floor where they began to waltz.

Darian felt his face flush red with rage, unable to act upon his every instinct to annihilate Quinn. Yet, all he could do was watch as they danced, circling one another in a close embrace. Instead, he slowly inched his was over towards where Sylvia was standing at the base of the stairs.

"Kiss me," Darian hissed in her ear, causing Sylvia to jump in fright. Truth be told, she herself was mesmerised by Aliyah. They were dancing with Dirella, her purple dress and their green outfit mixing together in a wave of textures and colours. She had just been thinking about how the green in Aliyah's outfit really brought out their eyes ...

"I said kiss me," Darian insisted, placing a hand on her back. Sylvia brought a hand to his chest.

"Darian what the hell is this... Oh," she muttered as she saw what was unfolding on the dance floor. She sighed.

"I'm not going to kiss you, but I've got an idea, go back to the punch bowl," Darian looked confused at this, however obliged. He slowly made his way back up the stairs and stood by the bowl.

Sylvia had brought her tiara with her. Never know when you're gonna need it. Holding it in her hand, she focused on Zane. She saw the blood pumping through his veins, each heart beat it flowed and moved like a river.

Then she turned the temperature up a little for him.

Zane began to perspirate slightly. Small droplets of sweat appeared on his forehead, and he began to fan his face to try and cool off. He then excused himself, leaving Quinn alone on the dance floor before making his way upstairs to the punch bowl.

"Mission success," she whispered to herself, grinning as Zane made his way towards a startled Darian.

"Darian," Zane said stiffly, never once looking Darian in the eye.

"Zane," Darian responded, replicating the cold disposition offered to him. Zane retrieved a cup of punch, and proceeded to stand next to Darian. They both stood in silence, watching the dancers twirl. It was Darian who broke the silence.

"You look lovely tonight," he said almost robotically. Zane glanced at Darian, a small smile toying at his lips, before quickly glancing away. It was the truth, Zane was adorned in only the finest clothes, red and gold jacket atop black trousers and a buttoned white top.

"I like the shirt, makes a good addition to the hunter outfit," Zane replied. Darian smiled, sneaking a small glance at Zane's face. He seemed content, his face relaxed into a smile as he gazed forwards.

"Quinn a good dancer?" Darian asked hesitantly. Zane snorted.

"He makes as good a dancer as a doorknob. You were always the best," he said. Darian felt something brush his hand, and looked down to see Zane's hand remarkably close. The distance between them seemed to have vanished, and Darian felt his chest tighten.

Zane seemed to have come to the same realisation too, glancing down at his hand before raising his eyes to meet Darian's. His face was startled at first, but then softened.

"What happened to us, Dar?" Zane said, using his nickname for Darian. Darian sighed.

"We were just... Too different," he said, feeling a tug at his heart. Zane took Darian's large, strong hand in both of his small, delicate ones.

"Opposites attract, don't they?" He cocked a brow, and Darian felt all sense of responsibility leave his body. With a gentle tug, Darian was pulled by Zane away from the punch, and away from the dance. Instead, Zane led Darian down a small corridor before they both slipped into a vacant room.

Only Sylvia saw this, and she felt a small sense of satisfaction that she had had a small contribution in the matter. Satisfied, she returned to the current issue at hand.

Aliyah was walking straight up to her, and looked as if they were going to ask her to dance.

Balls are a great way to build some tension, and set some sparks alight!

How will Sylvia do dancing? Guess you'll have to wait for tomorrow...