Chapter 21: A Plan in Motion

"Would you dance with me?" Aliyah asked, extending a hand towards Sylvia. Not wanting to turn them down, Sylvia accepted and placed her hand in theirs. She was then led to the dance floor, swept up by the beautiful and mystical elf.

Aliyah placed a hand on the small of her back, and extended their hand that held hers out as they began to rock back and forth. Sylvia stiffly followed along, rocking back and forth.

Aliyah cocked a brow at this, causing Sylvia to stop rocking.

"What?" She asked, frozen in the middle of the dance floor. Aliyah chuckled.

"You look in pain," they giggled, causing Sylvia to laugh too. She hadn't realised how easy she was to read.

"I... Don't know how to dance," she rapidly said, feeling a deep red blush creep across her face. Aliyah frowned at this.

"Dancing.. is like fighting. But slower," they said. Aliyah took a step back at this, extending one hand out and pretending to hold a sword. Sylvia followed suit.

"So if I step like this," Aliyah stepped in a circle clockwise, and Sylvia followed suit with her feet crossing over one another.

"Very good, now if I do this," Aliyah said, stepping forward with their right foot. Sylvia in response stepped back with her left foot. Every move Aliyah made, Sylvia reacted as she would in battle.

"Excellent, now just shifting the hands and elbows..." Aliyah said, turning their fist into a gentle palm facing upwards, their fingers gliding gracefully through the air. This part was difficult for Sylvia, but she extended her palm open towards the ceiling, as her and Aliyah weaved around one another as if locked in a graceful, slow motion battle.

The song soon ended, and Aliyah and Sylvia both bowed deeply to one another. Out of the corner of her eye, Sylvia spotted a familiar face.

"Olive!" She exclaimed, rushing over towards the satyr. Olive smiled sweetly.

"Hello Sylvia, Aliyah, so good to see you both again," she said. Even with a ruby red mask on, Olive distinctly stood out in the crowd with her fawn legs. Passerbys were looking her up and down, an uncertain look on their faces.

"I'm so glad you were invited, especially after helping the human settlements get to safety," Sylvia continued. Olive looked slightly uncomfortable at this, shifting back and forth in her hooves.

"Well... I am not exactly a guest..." She said. She then produced a small lute from behind her back, strumming it a couple of times to gain the attention of the crowd. She gave Sylvia and Darian a small wave before making her way to the front of the room. Sitting down on a small stool, she began to play.

Her voice carried through the air, filling the room with her melodious voice. Despite being so small, her voice had depth and carried to every ear in the room. It was beautiful, and Sylvia swore she had never heard a voice so pure before.

"Amazing, isn't she?" Another voice whispered next to Aliyah

"Gregory?!" Aliyah nearly jumped out of their skin. The blacksmith raised a finger to his lips, indicating for the group to be quiet. He too had on a full suit and mask, but also a sea shell with a rope tied around his neck. The sea shell from the goblin King.

"How did you get an invite?" Sylvia asked cocking a brow. Gregory seemed slightly offended.

"Of course the King is going to invite his favourite blacksmith, only customary," he declared softly, before returning his attention to Olive at the front. His eyes were soft, gazing at her lovingly. Sylvia was about to poke fun at him, before Dirella interrupted.

"It's time," she said. Sylvia turned, and saw that she had already donned the fox mask. Sylvia looked around.

"But where's Darian?" She asked. Dirella shrugged.

"No time, Olive is a distraction we can't afford to lose," with that, the three of them left Gregory to his doting to find the King. Not that he was hard to find, as he was situated in the corner of the room loudly boasting about the success of the party, a stein of beer in his chubby hand.

Aliyah and Sylvia parted ways with Dirella as she sauntered past the King. Immediately his eyes were drawn to her, and a flash of recognition crossed his face. It appeared that Dirella's dreams had in fact worked. As Dirella passed she glanced at him for a moment, before letting her gaze fall as she moved on.

As Dirella disappeared down a hall, the King soon followed suit. He excused himself from his guests, a look of bewilderment on his face. In a dream like trance, he followed leaving Olive's beautiful voice in the background.

Sylvia and Aliyah followed too. The plan was simple; lead the King away from the crowd and into a quiet secluded area. There, convince him to join the alliance and fight the unknown threat to the south.

Simple.... Right?

Dirella's dress floated as she walked, and even Sylvia was slightly gob smacked by her regal beauty. She was so elegant, so poised from literally a millenia of experience.

Dirella soon found a door that was closed shut, and paused for a moment. She glanced back, making sure that all three idiots were still following her. And they were. So Dirella flung open the doors to step inside.

To reveal Darian and Zane making out on top of a table.

Dancing and fighting, I've always loved the comparison of the two in literature

Dancing and fighting, I've always loved the comparison of the two in literature. I guess that's where the whole dance battle idea came from...

Hope you lived the cliff hanger, I love tying different characters stories together in a quirky way. Anyway, until next time.