Chapter 15

Arthur POV

I wish I could apologize to him. Of course, I would never expect him to forgive me. But he should know that I regret what I did.

The bell rung for the last class, Gabriel was the first out the door. He wore a dreamy expression all day, but now it was replaced with a look of excitement. Out of habit, I trailed behind him at a distance all the way to the front entrance. From there, I watched him skip down the stairs and jog over to one of the gate pillars.

A guy stepped out from behind it to greet him.

He was big, easily six foot five, with broad shoulders, and a fair complexion. He had long, wavy, black hair that grew down past his shoulder blades.

They were smiling at each other. The guy ruffled his hand through Gabriel's hair, saying something I was too far away to hear. I took a step forward and he jerked his head up, looking right at me.

To others, it must have appeared as nothing more than a cursory glance.

He made direct eye contact with me. His eyes were so clear and intelligent, and blood red. With such a gray man expression. There was something off about his appearance, too beautiful, not quite human.

The air crackled with electricity.

His head tilted. As though hearing my very thoughts. My gums started bleeding and my ears were ringing so loudly, it gave me a splitting headache. I had the strangest instinct that he was the one that was causing it.

Unexplainable terror suffocated me and sent tremors through my limbs. My breath froze in my lungs. It was like when he looked at me, he could see into my soul. There was nowhere to hide. He could pick me apart on a whim.

Or he already was.

He was dangerous.

Azrael/ Bel POV

A day without Gabriel is dull but peaceful. After he leaves, I start the daily chores. Sweep the floors, dust all surfaces, wash the dishes, fold the laundry, and take care of the house plants. Gabriel has an abundance of house plants, everywhere. Then when I'm finished, I take a bath.

I spend the rest of the day reading books in Gabriel's lush, little garden. He said it was something called a 'back yard'. The outside of his home was covered in climbing white roses, baby's breath and blue cornflowers sprouted from the gaps in the floor boards of his porch. A twisting wisteria hid away the whole right side of the yard from prying eyes while the left was obscured by an enormous elderberry bush. It was the perfect haven. So vibrant and joyful.

I've noticed that everything surrounding Gabriel is teaming with life. Everything that grew seemed to be wanting to grow closer to him. Though I suppose I am no exception.

A person that is filled with so much life and light.

Gabriel had called me 'Bel'. Only one other had ever called me that.

I plucked a twig of baby's breath and twirled the tiny flower between my fingers. A flower I was once so familiar with. A flower I'd once untangled from someone's soft, golden curls the night I kissed him for the first time. My shoulders felt heavy so I let my posture sag.

A person I didn't need to hide my imperfections from.

"My Solifyre." I whispered to the air.

Finally saying his name out loud made something inside me break. I was suddenly doubled over in grief. Hot tears streamed down my cheeks. My breath kept hitching.

Anger, fear, confusion, heartbreak, loss, helplessness, loneliness... Love.

Everything I'd kept bottled up inside me came spilling out. It hurt, but at the same time, it held the relief of pulling a thorn from one's hand.